3907 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

upgrading from 11 to 11i

shan_7
Advisor

upgrading from 11 to 11i

Hi experts,

i have C3600 workstation inthat i am having hp-ux 11.00 . i want to upgrade to hp-ux 11.11 64 bit. how can i upgarde with live software & data. kindly help me ..

Thanks in advance.

With cheers,
Shankar
11 REPLIES 11
Victor Fridyev
Honored Contributor

Re: upgrading from 11 to 11i

Hi Shankar,

Theoretically you may upgrade your machine, but as far as I know, the process is not always successful.
I'd recommend you to build the OS from a scratch. I don't know where the software and data are located, but usually they should be somewhere not on the system disk. In this case the process is easy. Please copy all configuration files: /etc/hosts, /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/hosts.equiv etc to a place with fast access. After full backup of the system (make_recovery) and the data (all methods are good: Omniback, Legato, fbackup, tar etc) the new OS should be installed. After that data disks should be included with vgimport. May be, some SW should be reinstalled, especially if it was installed by swinstall.
If the data and applications there are on the system disk, but can be easily restored from a backup, the process is almost the same.
Only if your applications are a part of the OS, you'll have to go to upgrade.

HTH
Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity - RTFM
shan_7
Advisor

thanks for a suggestion but still i wanna more information about upgradation .I already refered the ITRC . but that process failed .

Shankar
eran maor
Honored Contributor

Hi

if you are playing to do an upgrade you need to stop all appliaction from running ,
you can leave all the data that you have , maybe you will need also to upgrade some software that you have install on the system but the process of upgrading doent need to have any problem , all you LVM def. will be kept and also all your network def. all also will be kept .

but keep in maine that it will take you more time to do the process of the upgrade (3 hour instend of 1 hours fresh install ) .

also before doing the upgrade , do make_tape-recovery if your upgrade will failed .
love computers
Doug Burton
Respected Contributor

I'd install 11i from scratch. It's been stated that you should have a good backup and/or (I pick "and") an Ignite backup (LAN or tape). VERY good ideas. But, we all know how much of a pain it can be to go backwards so I'd suggest if possible, use a different hard drive. Swap one in and do the install. Swap it out to go backwards. Or... if you have a mirrored set of drives you could break the mirror and use the second one for the install. Simply reboot to the first to go backwards. Obvious issues arise not having a mirrored copy for the time being.
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi Shankar,
As already suggested i would also like to go for cold install with proper backup's of data done. If you still want to proceed with Upgardation or you need some knowledge in this regards have a look at this thread. It was nice discussion and exchange of good ideas.

helps.http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=604665

Thought that could help you.
Regards,

You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Suresh Sandasani
Occasional Contributor

Shanker,

Is your boot disk mirrored ?
If it is mirrored break the mirror and do a cold install of 11i on one of the disks.

How about ur apps/db , are they part of vg00 or different ?

If they are part of VG00, you have to consider the compatibility with 11i and better to separate from VG00.

My apps/DB are in separate VGs.

We did the upgrade(cold install) & followed the below process:

1.Break OS mirror disks(if you have already mirrored the OS disks).
2.make_tape_recovery of vg00.
3.O/S config file backup(hosts;passwd;group;netconf;fstab;lvmtab;lvmconf;.rhosts;bdf output;lvlnboot output;vgdisplay output etc)
4.cold install hp-ux 11i; applied gold pack; installed additional software from application CDs.
5.restored OS backed up config fles from step 3.
6.changed kernel parameters (system_prep/mk_kernel etc)
7.make_tape_recovery (x2)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The first step is to verify that all your applications will stil run on 11.11. Do this by contacting your software vendor(s) or websites and checking compatibility. You'll need your 11.11 Core/Install CDROM, a set of 11.11 Application CDs (should be 5 total) and your SupportPlus CD. (the latest SupportPlus CD can be downloaded from software.hp.com). Once you have all the CDs, stop all of your applications and create a file called /etc/nologin. Test to make sure that no onr can login except root. Be sure to read the upgrade documentation on the Core/Install CD.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Brian Hackley
Honored Contributor

Shankar,

I upgraded a 32-bit b180 to 11.11 about a year ago without any problems. It had some optional products and bundles on it, so I made certain that I reviewed the swlist output BEFORE doing the upgrade, and then read the doc for those products as well as the OS Upgrade docs. Also check to make certain you have the CD's for those products as required. If you have any codeword-protected products, be CERTAIN you obtain the codewords before the upgrade.

Good luck,
-> Brian Hackley
Ask me about telecommuting!
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I have upgraded as well - only small issue - sometimes - with java during install...

Here's a plan I did last year:

HPUX 11i Upgrade Plan

1. Split vg00 mirror
a. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
b. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
c. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
d. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol4 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
e. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol5 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
f. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol6 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
g. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol7 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
h. lvreduce -m 0 /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
i. vgreduce /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0

2. Stop application
a. /ops/oper/opercmds/stopapplocal

3. Stop NFS client
a. /sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop
3. Mount HPUX 11i Disc 1
5. Start install procedure
a. script /tmp/OSupgrade
b. mount /dev/cdrom /SD_CDROM
c. swinstall -r -s /SD_CDROM Update-UX \@ /var/adm/sw/Update-UX.root 2>/dev/null
d. edit /usr/lib/sw/update-ux.cfg file and comment out all lines that contain JAVAOOB
e. update-ux -s /SD_CDROM HPUX11i-OE
6. Follow Instructions
7. Install Mirror Disk using swinstall
8. Install Online JFS using swinstall
9. Install Glance using swinstall
10. Verify LAN interfaces are set to 100FD using lanadmin
11. If interfaces are set to HD, run the following to set them to FD
12. lanadmin -X FD (PPA #)
13. mirror vg00
a. pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c2t6d0
b. vgextend /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
c. mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c2t6d0
d. mkboot -a "hpux -l q (;0)/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c2t6d0
e. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
f. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
g. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
h. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol4 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
i. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol5 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
j. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol6 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
k. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol7 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
l. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/c2t6d0
m. lvlnboot -b /dev/vg00/lvol1
n. lvlnboot -s /dev/vg00/lvol2
o. lvlnboot -r /dev/vg00/lvol3
p. lvlnboot -R /dev/vg00
q. lvlnboot -v

Backout Instructions

1. Reboot server
2. Interrupt boot sequence
3. Boot Alternate Boot Path (0/0/2/1.6.0)
4. mirror vg00
a. pvcreate -B /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0
b. vgextend /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
c. mkboot -l /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0
d. mkboot -a "hpux -l q (;0)/vmunix" /dev/rdsk/c1t6d0
e. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol1 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
f. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol2 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
g. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol3 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
h. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol4 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
i. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol5 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
j. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol6 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
k. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol7 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
l. lvextend -m 1 /dev/vg00/lvol8 /dev/dsk/c1t6d0
m. lvlnboot -b /dev/vg00/lvol1
n. lvlnboot -s /dev/vg00/lvol2
o. lvlnboot -r /dev/vg00/lvol3

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.