New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrading oracle rdbms to 64 bit with 10.7 apps

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

upgrading oracle rdbms to 64 bit with 10.7 apps

Hello,
I currently have oracle 10.7 apps (32 bit)running against 32 bit oracle RDBMS (8.1.7.4) on the same box (rp7400, HPUX 11.0). I am looking to upgrade to 64 bit rdbms - since we are near the 32 bit limit in the SGA. I also have 2 other 32 bit oracle databases that this database communicates with via database links. Can anyone advise on this? Are any major issues? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

To upgrading the database version to Oracle 9i/10g you'll need to upgrade the apps version to 11i and possibly (I'm not sure) to HP-UX 11i.

PS: you are near the 32 bit limit in the SGA? What is that limit??

Best Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I am not upgrading the apps - 10.7 is not certified above 8.1.7 database. The upgrade to the database would be 8.1.7 32 bit to the 8.1.7 64 bit. We are planning an 11i upgrade next year, when we will upgrade to the 9i database. At this time, the SGAs of the 32 bit systems are using about 1.6 GB of shared memory.
TwoProc
Honored Contributor
Solution

If your ORACLE_HOME for the database is already separated from the ORACLE_HOME for the applications, then simply replacing the database layer with a 64 bit one should be relatively simple - just seek the same patch level for the database on 64 bit as you had on 32.

I didn't take up the 64 bit conversion at 10.7, but instead at 11.0, so I've not actually seen that particular conversion. However, we did sucessfully convert from 32 bit 8.1.7.3 to 64 bit 8.1.7.4 on Oracle Apps 11.0x way back when. I guess the trickiest part for you would be a good solid list of interoperability patches for 10.7 on 8.1.7.4 64 bit, because that list may not exist. Then, you'd have to figure if the same interoperability patch number for the 32 bit and 64 bit implementation are required, do you re-run them even though you already had them in 32 bit form? I think you do, but you'd need to check w/ Oracle on that idea in general, and maybe even specifically on a patch-by-patch basis if they are not comfortable giving you an overall guideline.
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

Dave,

It's been several years, but I have run this configuration. Should be no issues with the database links between the 32 and 64 bit versions.

Take a look at metalink note 62290.1 and if you have java installed follow note 183649.1 as well. I do remember hitting the java issue when we did the upgrade.

Since you are already on 8i 32-bit you have installed the Apps I/O patches and moved to a server partition configuration. You should be able to install the 64-bit software and change the database ORACLE_HOME for to the new 64-bit software.

Patti
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

To upgrade your database 8.1.7.4 from 32-bit to 8.1.7.4 64-bit, you must first upgrade your existing database and then perform the bitsize conversion.
Note that upgrading and changing bitsize (ie. 32-bit to 64-bit or vice versa) is not supported or recommended if it is done together.

Attached document is a walkthrough of doing a word conversion when you are going to upgrade from 8.1.7.4 (32-bit) to 8.1.7.4 (64-bit). This applies if you are running Java inside the database. For databases running Oracle Apps, please note that certain apps-specific patches may also be required.

And you can create database links between databases which are 32-bit and 64-bit without any issues.

IA

Never give up, Keep Trying
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Sory...here is the attachment.
Never give up, Keep Trying