urgent - system crash and can't bring up even at console

SOLVED
Go to solution
Thi Vu
Frequent Advisor

urgent - system crash and can't bring up even at console

Hello,

I was doing backup (fbackup)on our system HP9000 and 3 strange things occur:

1. I can not open another session to monitor the backup, when I tried to telnet - it just hung.

2. I tried remote shell from other system -same thing happen the command just hung.

3. 1/3 way into the backup the session that was starting the backup with error out with this message:
pid #### killed due to text modification or page I/O error.
and the session terminated.

After this session terminated, I tried to connect to it and my connection hang at "trying to connect to hostname by telnet...".

I even went to the console and all I got is a blank screen. After playing around with the console there is no response so I reboot the system - when the system finally come up - the message on the server was "init C640 AP console CPU01" however, the console just show blank. I even unplug and re-plug it back - no avail. I got no response from this server at all. Help.

Thi
10 REPLIES 10
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

Re: urgent - system crash and can't bring up even at console

Press co on the console. It will give you the display.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Thi Vu
Frequent Advisor

Sanji,

The co - is it the letter c and then o ? It does not work. I got no response. I don't know whether this make any difference or not but the light on the disk drives does not blink like the other servers.

thi

S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

The page I/O error you are getting I think is due to lack of resources (either memory or swap) so it might not be related to the other problem you're having (can't boot up).
Has there any change being made to your default console path ? It seems the system is not able to initialize the console path if it hangs at C640 bootup code.
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor
Solution

Actually it is in maintenance mode. That is why you are getting that C640 AP Console. It means it has successfully checked all the components and waiting for the user intervention at the boot prompt. Power off and on of the console and press "co" to go back to console mode to get the display.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Thi Vu
Frequent Advisor

Sandip,

Is there any way to find out why the system rebooted into "maintainance mode" C640 AP Console ? and is there any way to fix it? That same server was rebooted again and it is back at the C640 AP Console and I had been doing the same things I did on Friday to get access to the console but it does not work. I had been at it for the last 2 hours...trying to access the console.

Thi
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Thi,

I suspect you have autoboot set to off in stable storage.
You need to check it by interrupting the PDC at the "10 seconds" prompt & answer yes to "interact with the ISL" .
From there type #setboot
If Autoboot is off enter:
#setboot autoboot on
Then just enter:
# hpux & it will start the boot.
I would suggest you test autoboot if you have the time for one more boot.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Thi Vu
Frequent Advisor

Hi Jeff,

When I was in the Configuration menu (at the console) I restart the system and it booted up to multi-user, on your advice I rebooted the system again but missed the interuption to go to ISL - but the system booted up to multi-user with no problem or complain.

Thi
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Thi,

Well if its booting up multi-user then autoboot is certainly on.
Then the other reason, an earlier HW fault or problem is most likely what occurred.
You can check by doing a control-b at the CONSOLE & entering SER to get into the service menu - then list the logged events.
Just correlate dates/times & you should have your culprit.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Derek Whigham_1
Trusted Contributor

I am having the same problem but don't understand what "co" means
Divide and Conquer