New Discussion юеВ

Re: uuencode not sending attachments in right format anymore

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

As you used "-m" option with mailx, Mime Version, Content Type & Content Encoding are not added to the header.

I did a test from my Unix server to exchange and the MIME header shows:

Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

And the attachment looks OK with Wordpad but with Notepad, there is no line break

With
ux2dos report.txt | uuencode report.txt|mailx -m -s "report.txt "

The attachment can be read with Notepad without problem.

Because with ux2dos you used "ux2dos report.txt |uuencode report.txt report.txt|.." uuencode didn't take the output from ux2dos instead it read from the file report.txt. So, it make no difference.
Arturo Galbiati
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,
I got some problem in teh past. It was due to the chnage in outlook server by Microsoft.
You can fix this in 2 ways:
1. add -m to each of your mail command line
2. create a .mailrc file in the home directory of teh user used to send mail and put 'set mimeheader=no'
$ cat .mailrc
set mimeheader=no

The seond way it's better because avoid you to chnage all your scripts.

HTH,
Art
KPS
Super Advisor

If you look at my original syntax earlier in this forum thread, I was using the -m option so I guess I already had your option #1 covered.

As far as option #2 goes, I have tried creating a .mailrc file and setting:

set mimeheader=no

Even with this set, I'm still seeing the same symptom of the attachment being illegible and in the incorrect format unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I'm going back to the SMTP and Exchange folks with this issue as I believe this is where something has changed to affect this process.
Calandrello
Trusted Contributor

the applicatory native of email that sends attached archives and the Elm.
Hoey
Occasional Advisor

Hi KPS

We are having exactly the same problem like yours recently. All HP servers cannot send as attachment but servers running solaris can. No one changed any script, strange, isn't it? I wonder if you have your problem resolved?

Cheers

Davis
KPS
Super Advisor

We are now fixed. We ended up routing our mail right to the SMTP Server rather than to relay servers at certain sites like we were doing.

We had to build a ruleset on the SMTP server to allow the client to forward the mail directly to it. We never really figured out what actually caused this, but we suspect this was a Service Pack on the MS Exchange side. Since it's now working, we didn't spin wheels to further troubleshoot. Hope this helps...
KPS
Super Advisor

Our issue is now resolved. Thanks to all for their recommendations.