Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v$session_wait

ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

v$session_wait

Where can I get a complete reference guide for all session wait event?

Thanks

Eric
5 REPLIES
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Re: v$session_wait

Hi Eric,

Here is something from Metalink.

Indira A
Never give up, Keep Trying
ericfjchen
Regular Advisor

Hi Indira A,

Thanks. However I don't just want to know the definition of v$session_wait. We are using Oracle 9014. There are 291 session wait events in it. We want to realize all kinds of wait events meaning. Where can I get the white paper about it?

For example, we are meeting a wait event now. This session is waiting for "transactin" more than 3 hours. It is still hung. However, we can't get more useful information till now.

Thanks again

Eric
Indira Aramandla
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Appendix in the Oracle9i Reference manual contains descriptions of the Oracle Wait Events

There are articles available from the MetaLink Doc ID: 62161.1 Systemwide Tuning using UTLESTAT .

Attached is the white paper â Introduction to Tuning Oracle7 / Oracle8 / 8i / 9â .

In
Never give up, Keep Trying
Eric Antunes
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Execute the following:

select substr( ln.name, 1, 30), gets, misses,
misses/decode( gets, 0, 9999999999999, gets)*100 misses_gets_ratio,
immediate_misses/decode( immediate_gets, 0, 9999999999999, immediate_gets)*100 immediate_misses_gets_ratio,
immediate_gets, immediate_misses
from v$latch l, v$latchname ln
where
ln.latch# = l.latch#
order by 5 desc

This will show you latch contention. Post here the first 5 rows and I will try to help you.

Regards,

Eric Antunes
Each and every day is a good day to learn.
Patti Johnson
Respected Contributor

In addition to the Oracle manuals you might want to check out the following websites.
http://www.hotsos.com
http://www.ixora.com.au/
Cary Millsap and Steve Adams both have excellent tuning books and provide details on Oracle Internals that are difficult to find elsewhere.

Patti