Operating System - VMware
1748109 Members
4610 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vSPhere 4.0/4.1 - Possible to vMotion NPIV Storage?

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

vSPhere 4.0/4.1 - Possible to vMotion NPIV Storage?

Is this supported now with vSphere 4.0/4.1?

Is there any performance issues or caveats? We want to preserve our storage provisioning gyrations with Virtual Server on vMware as the main reason.
Hakuna Matata.
6 REPLIES 6
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

thank you a great docu.

bookmarked.

mikap
Jags_21
HPE Pro

Hi,

Very Informative Doc

Thanks
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Kind of in a bind here.

I followed the recipe to the letter, generated vport WWNs, pre-zoned the vport WWNs, pre presented a LUN to the vports BUT I can't seem to see the vPort WWNs on the SAN Switch and the LUN does not appear on my Linux guest..

Should it be that my Virtual Machine needs to be on an RDM? Meaning -- it's OS also needs to be on a LUN that is RDM'd (simple RDM)?

Hakuna Matata.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, the PDF file says:

"NPIV can be used only with Raw Device Mappings (RDM) disks."

That means you have to present the disk to the ESX WWPNs to be able to configure the RDM *and* present it to the VM's NPIV WWPNs.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Uwe,
So does that mean the VM's OS should be on an initial RDM disk? The docus do not seem to clearly indicate IF a VM can be a normal vmdk file based with a dummy RDM just to assign the vPorts.

Anyway - my issue coul likely be since my ESX hosts are on a Blade Infra - C7000, and each host's "FC HBA" is already NPIV based (shares/profiles of the vConnect FC modules) - that I am trying to NPIV over an already NPIV'd ESX host HBA?

Also in the docu, if my ESX hosts are dual HBA'd (A and B fabric) - the generated vPort WWPNs -- it does not mention which HBA will each NPIV tunnel on to facilitate pre-zoning and pre-persenting NPIV'd LUNs?

Puzzling..

Anyways - I am going to try to have a Guest installed on an RDM and go through over the document again.
Hakuna Matata.