5873 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vacation program

enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Hi
Unfortunately the HP-UX version of vacation does not create a .forward nor a .vacation.msg file. But there is a usable template of the .vacation.msg file in /usr/share/lib.
And the manual is clear:
1) create .vacation.msg (eventually from template) - this is not mandatory
2) vacation -i
3) create .forward with
\user, "|/usr/bin/vacation -a user"

The absence of error logging is something that I really don't understand; if the problem persists I am thinking to try some freeware utility, like 'forward'.

Enrico
Shannon Petry
Honored Contributor

Does it create the vacation.pag and vacation.dir files? If so, it is supposed to log successfull forwards in these files.

Can you run vacation -I to initialize them?

Regards,
Shannon
Microsoft. When do you want a virus today?
Joerg Hinz
Occasional Advisor

Just to mention: You should include a "Auto-Submitted: auto-generated" in the header to prevent other autoanswers from other mailers which might cause a mail-loop...

Joerg
-- quote?
enrico.nic
Regular Advisor

Hi
Yes, all the files .vacation.* are correctly created.

I have a new small addition, for anybody that is so persistent to read something more about this subject:
trying with another user I've found (don't know why this didn't come out with the "mysql" user) an error message given as a reply from sendmail:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
"|vacation -a user"
(reason: 550 Unsafe for mailing to programs)
(expanded from: )

----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.7.1 /home/user/.forward: line 1: "|vacation -a user"... Address is unsafe for mailing to programs
Reporting-MTA: dns; gissi.marionegri.it

In sendmail the restricted sendmail shell (smrsh) was already enabled, and the vacation program had been already copied in the correct directory (sm.bin) where the restricted shell looks for executables.

In the sendmail configuration file I haven't found the phrase "is unsafe for mailing to programs"

Any idea ?

Thank you
Darren Prior
Honored Contributor

Hi Enrico,

That suggests to me that perhaps your file permissions are too wide. If it's only affecting this user I'd check the .forward, otherwise compare permissions on things like their home dirs.

regards,

Darren.
Calm down. It's only ones and zeros...
Marco_162
Occasional Contributor

Hello Enrico,
I have the same problem.
Do you find the solution?

Thanks in advance.
Marco