108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

/var/tombstones

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

/var/tombstones

My C110 workstation, running 11.i, has a wee problem on bootup. Everything goes ok, except the line "copy processor logs to /var/tombstones" That seems to fail. I looked in the /etc/rc.log file, and it says,

pdcinfo: pdc_system_info(return info) call failed, status= -2
pdcinfo: pdcinfo_main.c:2494
ERROR:pdcinfo returned error status=255
"/sbin/rc1.d/S430pdcinfo start" FAILED

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanx in advance!!
Should have been an astronaut.
4 REPLIES 4
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: /var/tombstones

I seem to remember reading that tombstones and pdcinfo is valid only for servers. That information simply isn't available to workstations
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
Ron Irving
Trusted Contributor

Thanks, Jim...so, if I read you correctly, I could just 'disable' the pcdinfo? Would that do anything, ahem, bad to my system?

P.S. It's just a systems that I have at home, in which to practice on, in hopes of someday having a real job!!

ron
Should have been an astronaut.
James A. Donovan
Honored Contributor

Go ahead and disable/remove it. Won't hurt nothin.
Remember, wherever you go, there you are...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Ron:

Jim is correct. 'pdcinfo' was never intended to run on all models. The utility was actually delivered as part of diagnostic support utilities. It was designed to record stable-storage information into "tombstone" files in the directory '/var/tombstones'. Up to 100 files, named 'tsNN', where 'ts99' is the most current snapshot, could be captured. Every boot would produce a new 'ts99' file; the prior 'ts99' being renamed to 'ts98'; any 'ts98' file renamed to 'ts97', etc. The concept was that key information would be available in the event of a system crash.

To disable the utility, simply rename '/sbin/rc1.d/S430pdcinfo':

# mv /sbin/rc1.d/S430pdcinfo /sbin/rc1.d/430pdcinfo

By dropping the "S" from the startup script name, the script will simply be skipped.

Regards!

...JRF...