3822 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: vgsync command

gany59
Regular Advisor

vgsync command

Hi guru's

While we extending or reducing or replacing the mirror disk or data disk, can we have to run the vgsync command at the last to sync the VG's.

Thanks in advance!!
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

It depends on what exactly you have done before that.

For example, when reducing a mirror (i.e. changing all LVs of the VG from mirrored to non-mirrored), vgsync does not make much sense: the remaining non-mirrored LVs are always in sync with themselves, by definition.

The vgsync command is equivalent to running "lvsync" on all LVs of the chosen VG; it's just easier to type a single "vgsync" command than multiple "lvsync"s.

MK
MK
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

No. But your intuition is right. You run, or you verify in syslog that vgcfgbackup was run. This updates you vg backup files under /etc/lvmconf.

However, vgsync is a non destructive / non intrusive command so if you have sync problems from a bad disk, (* which you verified with lvdisplay -v and checked for 'stale' for example in the extents map *), then you can run it without damage.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
gany59
Regular Advisor

Hello Micheal,

can u pls tell is that vgsync command usage is mandatory while replacing the mirror disk or data disk.

I am not get a clear picture from ur previous posts.

Please let me know the thing..