Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmstat and acceptable value for cs (context switches)

vmstat and acceptable value for cs (context switches)

Hello,

I wonder what is the range for acceptable values of context switches for up-to date Intel x86 processors (let's say, a Xeon® X5460 Quad Core 3.16 Ghz for example).

I can't find any recent information about this.

The fresher information I found is an article of 2002 that says (in substance):
A lot of context switching = greater than 20 000 per second.

If I apply Moore's Law, that would make 160 000
for a CPU in 2008.

Does anyone has informations on this ?

Let me know, thanks.

Louis Coilliot
Waterloo morne plaine
3 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: vmstat and acceptable value for cs (context switches)

The true is that, I never used CS as a performance parameter. I don't think that there is a "suggested" value, it depends of the system, drivers and applications.

Focus on other performance counters.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?

Hmmm, this sounds like a kind of "tell me your need, i'll show you how to do without" answer.

I indeed also use other metrics.

But the values of the run queue AND cswitch/s can tell me if it is better to add more processors or to put a more powerfull processor.

Thanks, anyway.

Louis Coilliot
Waterloo morne plaine
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I agree tha runq is a metric, related with idle CPU and load average. But still I don't know how CS can give you good/bad values.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?