cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware scop in future

irshad ali
Frequent Advisor

vmware scop in future

Hi I am HP (CSA) certified with 03 years experience as system admin. Can anybody tell me scope of Vmware which as per my skills. Is ther any connection or compatibility b/w hpux n vmware ?Thanks
8 REPLIES
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: vmware scop in future

VMware ESX server is a virtualization platform for x64 computer systems - it does not run on PA-RISC or TItanicum or any other CPU.

_some_ of its components are based on Linux/Open Source, but it is not general operating system and the virtualization layer (VMkernel) is VMware's own work.
irshad ali
Frequent Advisor

thanks, But i want to know the compatibility with my current profile
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If you want to manage a full-blown ESX/vCenter environment, well, I'd say that maybe 2-5% of HP-UX knowledge can be reused. Expect to learn lots of new things and a new paradigms if you never have dealt with virtualization before.
irshad ali
Frequent Advisor

ok, thanks.
Is the future of vmware brighter than HPUX in terms of money? plz guide
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

That really depends on potential customer(s) acceptance.

Vmware Professional's have a potential of making big money where/while companies are slowly shifting off of older legacy systems.

I don't think HP-UX is going away anytime soon though if that is what you are asking.

My last 2 bits:

Do both, learn as much as you can while you can. ;o)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

agree, and if you want much money - become an investment banker...
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

I find alot of the lower level stuff right at the base ESX level is transferable. Installing software and such is easier for a Unix admin. Even small things like being able to use vi is an asset that most windows admins do not have. A combination of skills is required today. If you have the opportunity to work with VMWare take it.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Just take every opportunity to learn what you can.
If you have the opportunity to learn vmware at your current site then push for it. It's a field where there's a lot of development and change at the moment.