1753797 Members
7458 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vsftpd dead but subsys locked

Kashif Jameel
Frequent Advisor

I'm trying to ftp to my Linux server but i can't connect. I checked the status of vsftpd service and got this msg:

tried to stop and restart the service, but couldn't. Nothing seems to work here.
Anybody has any solution to this problem...???
2 REPLIES 2
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: vsftpd dead but subsys locked

this is probably an selinux issue. You can temporarily disable it by typing

# setenforce 0

then try restarting vsftpd

# service vsftpd restart

If that works you should look in var/log/messages to see what the issue is. Just grep for avc in the file. If you can, post the output. I think that one of your files may have an incorrect context. You can also try this:

# service vsftpd stop
# rpm --verify vsftpd

This will show what is different about the files currently in place and the ones that originally were installed with the package. You might want to read the man for rpm and go to the section for --verify. It sill produce a string by each file that is different. This is from the man:

S file Size differs
M Mode differs (includes permissions and file type)
5 MD5 sum differs
D Device major/minor number mismatch
L readLink(2) path mismatch
U User ownership differs
G Group ownership differs
T mTime differs

This should hopefully help you with trying to diagnose the issue.

If selinux is the issue and you want to diable it permanently edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and make SELINUX=disabled.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: vsftpd dead but subsys locked

You should try to start the daemon not using the rc scripts, in this way you will be able to see the error that reports if nothing are logged to the log files.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?