Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vx-ninode again

SOLVED
Go to solution
derek b smith_1
Regular Advisor

vx-ninode again

I know there are threads out there and I have read them. But after reading them and after reading "Memory Usage - Whats is using all of the memory?" By: Eric Herberholz at HP and HP Perf cookbook I am confused on what to set this to.

Eric recommends setting vx_ninode to 20k - 30k as a start. I want my first setting to be permanent for a long time! After writing this quick script on my production system :
bdf -i |grep -v "/stand" |awk '{print $6}' |grep -v iused |awk '{sum+=$1;printf("sum: %d\n",sum)}'

I get a total in use value of 234340. Is this the value I want to use to trend my future setting other than the default 0?

thx a bunch!

derek : )
9 REPLIES
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: vx-ninode again

no. I would set it to 30K, or 2% of mem. (1 inode= about 2K I think)

echo vxfs_ninode/D | adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/mem
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi derek,

I concur.
The default value of 0 can lead to values of more than 1/4 million on large RAM systems.
I've been advised by experts that one *never* needs more than 40k in real life.
This is definitely one of those parms that *should* be tuned properly out-of-the-box, but isn't.

My $0.02,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
derek b smith_1
Regular Advisor

ok guys thx for the responses, but I want to make for certain that this change will not effect production. This value 234340 represents all of my JFS file systems iused sum from bdf -i. So everyone is telling me that 20k - 30k is sufficient for vx_ninode
even though when I echo this parameter I get

echo "vxfs_ninode /D" |adb -k /stand/vmunix /dev/kmem

240640?????

why is 20-30k recommended considering this number above and has anyone been in the situation before? has anyone changed it w/out negative results?

thank you,
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi derek,

The number drawn from the kernel is the *max* number of open vx inode table entries allowed. So think about just how *many* files you'll ever have open. I doubt you'll ever have more than 40k at any one time. So why not save the kernel memory & set the value to a realistic value?

Rgds,
Jeff
derek b smith_1
Regular Advisor

yes I definitely agree with "I doubt you'll ever have more than 40k at any one time. So why not save the kernel memory & set the value to a realistic value?"

So the 234340 number can be ignored and taken for granted? Is the number in any way useful?
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Well first understand that this is a *cache* table so it's not an "in use" table - it's a "used" table. That number simply reflects the *total* number of cache entries used since the last boot. What's most important however IS the in use value - i.e. how many entries are currently being used by all processes running *right now*?
Consider 2 things:
A) What's the memory "cost" of the cache table size?
B) What's the CPU "cost" of searching an unnecessarily large table?
Those "costs" are what I'm pointing out. You don't need a huge table for exactly those two reasons. Set it to 40k & forget it.

My 2 cents,
Jeff
derek b smith_1
Regular Advisor

I will set it to 40k, but IF it is a "number that simply reflects the *total* number of cache entries used since the last boot"
then why does it flucuate?
derek b smith_1
Regular Advisor

In one of my 11.11 systems this parameter vx_ninode does not exist. What do I have to load or do to correct this?
Kevin Wright
Honored Contributor

Derek, you have received some valuable information for free, and you assigned points to 0 out of 47 replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!