Operating System - Linux
1752318 Members
5915 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: what does "UDF-fs: No VRS found", mean when mount cdrom?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maaz
Valued Contributor

what does "UDF-fs: No VRS found", mean when mount cdrom?

Whenever I mount cdrom, following message received

[root@linux101 root]# mount /mnt/cdrom
UDF-fs: No VRS found
[root@linux101 root]#

So what does "UDF-fs: No VRS found" means ?

Regards

Maaz
5 REPLIES 5
Huc_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

As I do not get this error it is hard to find out what is wrong, but to try and help I would sugest reading man mount ( the section under -t)

and would have a look at /etc/filesystems and/or /proc/filesystems

What I thing this mean is that in your /etc/fstab the /mnt/cdrom is mounted with a UDF file system and this is not (found, bad or not there), also this option can be build in the kernel or loaded as a module.

I suspect your mount invokes -t UDF for cdrom and this is not compiled in kernel and not in modules

Tell us if any of the above is true ?

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Hi,
UDF is the Universal Disk Format, and the VRS is the Volume Recognition Sequence, which identifies the type of data on your CD. It means that your CD driver (thru the kernel) doesn't identify the type of file system on the CD you try to mount.
Try to remove in /etc/fstab the type of data for cd drive for it to use autodetect without UDF.
If it doesn't fix things, please post dmesg content for further analysis.

hth

Jerome Henry
You can lean only on what resists you...
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Many thanks HUC, and Jerome Henry.

Huc the message is not an error(i think) although it gives the "UDF-fs: No VRS found", but cdrom always mount and works properly. I think its kinda warning.
ok b4 the help from the forum, my /etc/fstab file was like:
cat /etc/fstab
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
but after reading the reply of HUC and Jerome Henry I edit it as :
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660,udf noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
and now this messages has gone/finished, i.e. now i didnt receive this "UDF-fs: No VRS found" messages, after editing the /etc/fstab file

Many Thanks
Regards
Maaz

Johannes Krackowizer_1
Valued Contributor

hi maaz,

the message means that no "volume recognition sequence" was found on the media. if you insert a simple iso9660 cd-rom there is no vrs. vrs is only found on udf formated cd-roms, dvd-roms and dvd-rams.
your workaround in /etc/fstab is the best way to work. first try iso9660 driver and second try udf driver.

best regards

johannes
"First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards, and NOT read it. Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture." (Linus Torvalds)
Maaz
Valued Contributor

Many Thanks Dear Johannes Krackowizer for ur kind help, and explanation, and sorry for late acknowledgement/reply

Thanks to all

Regards
Maaz