108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

what is needed to swap a HP-UX with another

SOLVED
Go to solution
twtandigi.com.my
Frequent Advisor

what is needed to swap a HP-UX with another

Hi, I am currently going to undertake a task to swap 2 hp-ux server. (server a, server b)
I am not sure on what is needed to back up, or copied over from server a to server b.
By the way, how do i make sure that the route table would stay the same from one server to the other.
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: what is needed to swap a HP-UX with another

What models of servers? What version of HP-UX? How much data? What applications? A bit more information would be helpful.

If they are similar servers, for the OS, I would recommend using Ignite/UX to "copy" the OS from server to another. YOu can have a look at Ignite at http://software.hp.com/products/IUX Ignite is a FREE download.

Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Are you going to be utilising the same disks?
If so using the vgexport/vgimport concept will work for you.
Yes take backups in any case, these are your life-blood, preferably the entire system.
If these are similar machines hardware wise you can create and ignite tape and create the OS from the old server.

Taking across the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file will have the routing information. You could also use the 'set_parms' script.

As far as copying files:
/etc/passwd
/etc/group
/etc/inetd.conf
/etc/mail/*
home directories

A little more information on what is on the old system will help us help you with your plan.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
twtandigi.com.my
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick and Michael,
The current HP-UX version is 11.00 and it is running on a A series HP server. The both servers are similar.

All the configuration for the application has been set in order(both machine having the same application).

what are the steps needed to do when to swap the servers? i.e. change ip, etc/rc.config.d/netconf, etc...
what should i do first?
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor
Solution

Further to what I mentioned already, here could be a rough scenario.

Create an ignite tape on server A
# /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/?mn (assuming you know what drive your using and you must utilise a non-rewindable device.

Boot the tape onto server B interrupting the system boot, and then either search using 'SEA' or knowing what the hardware path of your tape drive is.
Once the tape is booted you can if necessary make any adjustments to your logical volume sizes. On completion say GO, and the system will create. Suggest you don't have a network cable attached at this point, unless you intend having a different hostname and IP address.

Once the system is up, you could create your vg mapfiles for exporting. See vgexport/vgimport mapfiles.
e.g.
# vgexport -m myvg.mapfile -v -s -p /dev/myvg

Transfer these files and any other files required, /etc/passwd, group mail config, DNS home directories etc. (assuming /home is on local disk)

Shutdown server A, recable external disk to server B, boot it and recover the secondary volume groups via the vgimport command.

Who said it was easy :^)
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
twtandigi.com.my
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for the words of advise.
I hope that the swapping would go on well.
Thank you
Dani Seely
Valued Contributor

Hello Calvin,
The easiest way, since you are using HP 11.00 is to create an Ignite backup tape of your current server (server a) and then restore that Ignite backup tape on the new server (server b). This will pretty much give you a mirror image on 'server b' of 'server a'.

If you want both systems to be on-line then run 'set_parms initial' after restoring the Ignite backup on 'server b' and change the networking information so there is no IP/Hostname conflicts. If you are merely replacing 'server a' with 'server b', then it should be as simple as unplugging 'server a' and plugging in 'server b'.

Note that if the hardware platforms of 'server a' and 'server b' are different, some of your drivers may not be installed correctly or installed at all on 'server b' as all of the drivers were merely copied from the configuration of 'server a'.

I've done this before MANY times to bring additional systems on-line rather than build them from scratch. Good luck!
Together We Stand!