iam using omni 2.5 for 10.20 my problems are

1) when back up runs it stops saying run omni check and backup hangs

2) while running the backup it says Unexpected close reading NET messeage
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Sim Kok Leong
Honored Contributor

Re: when running omni backup i have the following errors

Hi,

Check the network connectivity between the omniback disk agent and omniback media agent. Omniback might have timeout due for a slow connection.

You might also have some hung omniback processes in either or both your omniback client and omniback server. Shutdown your omniback daemon and check for any hung omniback processes such as bsm processes. Kill them if present and restart omniback cleanly.

Hope this helps. Regards.

Steven Sim Kok Leong
Brainbench MVP for Unix Admin
http://www.brainbench.com
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I agree with Steven, check your netowrk. But have found the following to be a clean way to clear up hanging process on OBII. Run:

/opt/omni/sbin/omnisv.sh stop
/opt/omni/sbin/omnisv.sh start
/opt/omni/sbin/omnidbutil -clear

That way your sure you that nothing is missed.

/rcw
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

If this is a plain old file system backup - 'unexpected close reading net message' is very strongly associated with network issues. It could be other things, however, such as filesystem corruption.

If this is something more complex - like an Oracle backup - well the message really can occur with all sorts of problems.

You will need to figure out when it started failing, and what changed. Take a look at logs for your application, take a look at warnings in the session output, take a look at the logs in /var/opt/omni/log, as well as perhaps syslog and dmesg.

You mentioned OB II 2.5. OB II 2.5 is no longer supported... and was a bad product - if indeed this is what you have, please plan to migrate SOON.

OB II 2.55 is still supported, but it has a limited lifespan at this point. Start planning your migration. Check for patches. 2.55 had lots of database issues - it got better with patches.

If you have a later version, like 3.0, 3.1, or the most current, 3.5 - still check patches.

You can use any omniback command line command with the -version option to figure out what you really have.

omnicc -ver

Similarly, you can check patches a number of different ways, swlist | grep O | grep PHSS | more will get a list that is just a little bit bigger than Omniback.

For database issues look for the CELL SERVER patches.

If you are failing on a file system backup, tho, there is a decent chance that the DISK AGENT patch is relevant.

If this used to work, and has just begun failing, I don't know whether other patches are strongly indicated - take a look at them to see if they fit.

If this is an 'integration' such as Oracle - take a look at the integration patches, Oracle 7, Oracle 8, Informix...

Other patches seem to me to be less likely to fit your scenario, but possible: core and media agent could be involved.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...