Operating System - HP-UX
1753902 Members
9201 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

which files need copying from CD to be able to swinstall?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin_31
Regular Advisor

which files need copying from CD to be able to swinstall?

There may be a fancy way of regestering a swdepot, which I don't understand, but all I want to do is copy the relevant files from my Applications CD for, say, B3701AA, C.03.50.00, HP GlancePlus/UX Pak for s800 11i. If I copy the whole 2.5 Gbyte DVD into a directory then I can do swlist on it or swinstall, but I don't need everything, just B3701AA! I see there's a directory right under /cdrom called B3701AA, but it's empty. I found:

root@/cdrom/catalog> file B3701AA/*/*
B3701AA/pfiles/INDEX: commands text
B3701AA/pfiles/INFO: commands text
5 REPLIES 5
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: which files need copying from CD to be able to swinstall?

Kevin,

I don't understand your need to copy the CD contents into a directory. You can install directly from the cd - mount it with "mount /dev/dsk/c2t2d0 /cdrom", then install with "swinstall -s /cdrom". You can copy from the cd using "swcopy", but I don't see the point.

Pete

Pete
Kevin_31
Regular Advisor

I've got enough disk space available to put the stuff I use most in a directory, rather than always have to track down the right version of the CD, unmount the last cd that was used, walk to the computer room and remove the old one, insert the new one, mount it. Maybe it's being lazy, but that's me.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Kevin,

If that's what you want . . .

Use swcopy then: "swcopy -s /cdrom" Copy the desired apps into a depot (I use the default /var/adm/sw) and you can install from there.

Pete

Pete
Helen French
Honored Contributor
Solution

This command might do it for you:

# swcopy [-x options] -s /cdrom B3701AA @ /tmp/new_depot

Here, -x options are the swcopy options which you may (or may not) add (eg: enforce_dependencies=, for more information on options, check man swcopy), /cdrom is your CD mount point, B3701AA is the product you want to copy and /tmp/new_depot is the destination. You may need to register it with 'swreg' later, if swcopy doesn't do that automatically.
Life is a promise, fulfill it!
system administrator_15
Frequent Advisor

Kevin
I also create a depot for most often used software makes it easy if you create somewhere in root as then if you create IGNITE tapes and use include option for vg00 your software is always available in DR senario.
and also you can select this machine as a software source from any machine on network.
i always use the swcopy -d option and select through gui inteface as it is easier to select pieces or groups of software and then create into a depot.

andy