4088 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

which is the most popular and mostly used UNIX system in world

HGN
Honored Contributor

Re: which is the most popular and mostly used UNIX system in world

Hi

I would defintely go for HP servers with HPUX + LVM , I have worked on atleast 3 other OS availble (Solaris, AIX, RedHat Linux on Intel)I would recommend only HP for their performance and support.

Rgds

HGN
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

I would defintely go for HP servers with HPUX + LVM , I have worked on atleast 3 other OS availble (Solaris, AIX, RedHat Linux on Intel)I would recommend only HP for their performance and support.

Rgds

HGN
Please assign points accordingly
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

"popular" how? in terms of sales (as implied by "most widely used").

I doubt that you'll ever get an objective answer. You'd need sales and "installed base" figures for the various O/S's. I doubt that any of the vendors have/would release those. My experience is that those kind of numbers are usually closely guarded.

InfoWorld or other such publication may have done a survey, but those results may not be a typical distribution, as it may only reflect the results as they apply to subscribers.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

Difficult to answer because it's hard to find decent reliable figures about this, MacOSX might be the most popular Unix, certainly on workstations.

Linux is also popular, but it is not a Unix (well, it looks and smells, but it not Unix certified, MacOSX is).

But probably the winner is the BSD family, Free, Net and OpenBSD combined take a huge piece of the pie.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

While I have a natural tendency to say HP-UX, I would probably say that the most widely deployed Unix system is probably one of the embedded Unices, and I would not be surprised if that outnumbered HP-UX, AIX and Solaris combined. Perhaps even those three and OSX combined.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
prasadb
Super Advisor

thanx all