1753964 Members
7502 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

xntpd writing to wtmpx instead of wtmps

Cifarian
Occasional Contributor

xntpd writing to wtmpx instead of wtmps

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm currently on HP-UX B.11.31 and I'm having trouble determining how to configure xntpd such that it logs it's activity (not the log file /var/adm/xntpd.log) to wtmps instead of wtmpx as it's confusing my auditing scripts.  I don't see an option in /etc/ntpd.conf for that and can't seem to find out how to do it anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: Cross posted also on the Integrety Server Board.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: xntpd writing to wtmpx instead of wtmps

OK.... so can you explain *why* xntpd (a daemon for synchronising the system date/time) would *ever* want to write to wtmps  (a log file that contains data on user logins)? The question makes no sense - it's like asking "where's the gas (petrol) cap on my Tesla?"

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
KishJ
HPE Pro

Greetings,

Files such as wtmp, wtmps and wtmpx are logged as part of "Accounting" software. While I am not sure what xntpd is logging in wtmpx, it is better to let the processes/system-calls write to their default respective logs and you modify your script instead. 

All the best!

PS: I will post the same on the other thread as well.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Cifarian
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I'm at a loss as to why it's writing to anything other than the logfile and we specify where that should be (and it's not wtmpx) so I didn't know if there was somewhere else I can look to address this or if this is something in xtnpd, each time it has to change the time, it writes a record to wtmpx.

So confused.

Cifarian
Occasional Contributor

I agree and there's nothing in the audit scripts that would tell xntpd to write to wtmpx so I am at a loss.

I'll keep digging but thanks for your reply.