1752572 Members
4511 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: xntpd writing to wtmpx instead of wtmps

Cifarian
Occasional Contributor

xntpd writing to wtmpx instead of wtmps

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm currently on HP-UX B.11.31 and I'm having trouble determining how to configure xntpd such that it logs it's activity (not the log file /var/adm/xntpd.log) to wtmps instead of wtmpx as it's confusing my auditing scripts.  I don't see an option in /etc/ntpd.conf for that and can't seem to find out how to do it anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: Cross posted also on the Integrety Server Board.

4 REPLIES 4

OK.... so can you explain *why* xntpd (a daemon for synchronising the system date/time) would *ever* want to write to wtmps  (a log file that contains data on user logins)? The question makes no sense - it's like asking "where's the gas (petrol) cap on my Tesla?"

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
KishJ
HPE Pro

Greetings,

Files such as wtmp, wtmps and wtmpx are logged as part of "Accounting" software. While I am not sure what xntpd is logging in wtmpx, it is better to let the processes/system-calls write to their default respective logs and you modify your script instead. 

All the best!

PS: I will post the same on the other thread as well.

I am a HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Cifarian
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I'm at a loss as to why it's writing to anything other than the logfile and we specify where that should be (and it's not wtmpx) so I didn't know if there was somewhere else I can look to address this or if this is something in xtnpd, each time it has to change the time, it writes a record to wtmpx.

So confused.

Cifarian
Occasional Contributor

I agree and there's nothing in the audit scripts that would tell xntpd to write to wtmpx so I am at a loss.

I'll keep digging but thanks for your reply.