Operating System - Linux
1753550 Members
5525 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: xterm from hp 9000 to linux 7.2

Cory Bloodworth

xterm from hp 9000 to linux 7.2

I am looking for a way to do a custom keytable. I can xmodmap the keys that I want but when I reboot the keymap goes back to default. Is there a way to do this so the keys will stay the same.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Ok, so you've looked at the 'xmodmap' man page, and read the part that says "-pke" to dump out the keymap/modmap in the format that xmodmap takes?

And you've also read the part about the "~/.xmodmaprc" file, which is used when 'xmodmap' is executed?

And you've tried doing 'xmodmap -pke > ~/.xmodmaprc' to dump out your working modmap so when you log in again, it gets restarted?

No? Well, give that a shot! :)

If that doesn't help, then some more details please, so we know what you have and haven't tried so we don't re-hash already tried things.
One long-haired git at your service...
Cory Bloodworth

I have tried the "~/.xmodmaprc". I am using the linux box as a, for lack of a better way of putting it, as a dumb term. I am displaying a screen from an app pushed from an hp server. I have set it up so there is no logging into the linux box. Just running X, in inittab I have x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/X -ac. We are replacing hp envisex terms with linux. The box comes up to a grey screen with no login prompt. Then I export DISPLAY=:0, The portion of the keyboard that is not working is the numeric keypad. How do I setup the keypad to work all the time.

Thanks
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Since you're using these as dumb terminal with no local login, then the default keysym map is what needs to be modified.

Have you tried outputting your modified keymap to /etc/X11/Xmodmap ? All else being equal, this should be the file loaded when a default session is initiated.

hth
Mark
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

be aware that if your users .profile contains an entry for tabs then this can screw the numeric keypad functionality within an xterm client .... try commenting it out if applicable.

also note the xresource : appkeypadDefault (see man xterm)

can be set in users $HOME/.Xdefaults :

xterm*appkeypadDefault:

Your application is it tui based and runs within an xterm client ?

if yes xmodmap may not be relevant here .... more likely terminfo settings could be at play here d'ya think anyone ?

ITRC DOC KBAN00000367 has some very good info too !

Also have a look in /usr/newconfig/etc/X11/X0pointerkeys ..search for NumLock ....