Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Key Takeaways from the OpenStack Summit Vancouver

Stephen_Spector

http---prod.cdata.app.sprinklr.com-DAM-188-waterfallopenstacksummit-d18380fa-79ba-4aff-ba4b-0f0b3bd76b94-1567713972-2015-05-26 20-53-37.jpg

Last week, over 6,000 attendees journeyed to Vancouver, B.C. for the OpenStack Summit, a gathering of business and technology leaders interested in establishing OpenStack as the open source cloud of choice for the enterprise. This is my ninth OpenStack Summit (out of 11) and I wanted to highlight three significant trends I noticed from the event last week:

• Enter the Business Customer– The number of attendees continued to grow rapidly. There has been a significant increase in the number of enterprise business customers looking to understand how to leverage OpenStack for their business. In the past, we have seen enterprise IT attend the show but having business users attend in high numbers quickly changed the tone from “how to use OpenStack” to “why to use OpenStack.”
  • "We Want You to Support OpenStack"– Many new sponsors attended the event because  their customers are asking them to integrate with OpenStack and ensure solution compatibility. All of these new sponsors provided new energy into the exhibit hall and are proof of the rapidly expanding OpenStack ecosystem.
  • OpenStack Needs to Support Real Users– The OpenStack developer community spent quality time detailing their release process, governance and OpenStack definition. This detail better supports customers who are now deploying the solution and looking to upgrade to future releases. This new focus on today's “real” customers is helping to  mature the OpenStack solution to truly support enterprise customers.

In addition to these three key trends, I noticed an emergence of telecom as an industry vertical, it  received extensive discussions via NFV. This again illustrates the change from a technology only community to a more enterprise solution focused community.

For more information from the event I suggest the following references:

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more