Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A HP Helion Norwegian Experience

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Antonio Brignoli, EMEA Alliance Sales, HP Helion

DSC_3249.JPGStephan Bureau, Cloud Channel Manager EMEA, HP Helion and I planned a trip to Norway in early March to enjoy the experience of the Northern Lights. The nice thing about the Northern Lights is that you cannot guarantee you will enjoy them, being one of the most unpredictable events on Earth. Given that they are caused by the interaction of the Earth’s magnetic field with the heavily polarized radiations emitted by the Sun, they can only be seen in a very specific area around the north or south magnetic poles. This limited area includes countries like Norway, Sweden, Lapland, Iceland and Alaska, which are some of the most easily accessible places (if easy accessibility can be used to describe almost two full days travel by air from Italy and France to Northern Norway).

DSC_3341.jpg

We were lucky, to the point that we were able to enjoy one of the strongest Northern Light events in the last year, on March 3rd, as shown in the pictures. Northern Lights are simply a stunning experience. Once you have seen them, you want to see more, and more, and more. And yes, they move, and they have multiple colors, not only green, but also red, blue, and violet, and all of the graduations possible.

Taking good pictures is not easy. First, it is very dark, so autofocus does not work. Second it is typically very cold and you may need to wait for hours. They are not like the “Old Faithful” geyser in Yellowstone, they are totally unpredictable. They start, if they start, when they want. Third, there is typically a lot of wind which is a nightmare for your poor tripod. But the Northern Lights are awesome, so when they start, you forget all the pain you endured to get there and you just enjoy the moment. And when it’s over, you are ready for the next one, even if it is 3 am.

During our journey, a very special experience stands out among the many extraordinary times. One morning we decided that we wanted to try to enjoy a winter sunrise at one of the most beautiful beaches of the Lofoten islands, Unstad beach. Unfortunately, we were not as lucky as the night before with the Northern Lights. It was 2°C (35°F) and raining and snowing at the same time. We got to the beach and surprise… a group of crazy guys were surfing on the sea!!! It was 7 am and they were already there in the freezing water.

DSC_3784_00006_00012.jpgWe could not believe our eyes: these guys were not simply in the water, they were really surfing. Perhaps not the best professional surfers on Earth, but surfing in 2°C and heavy rain and snow! I was lucky to have a background as a volleyball photographer, so despite the heavy rain I could take a few decent shots of these crazy people. We met them after a while: they were a group of seventeen 19-year-old students attending the Norwegian Sport Academy and simply practicing surfing. They had started only 5 months earlier, and while they were not super skilled, they did manage to surf some good waves. And they were so happy we could take some pictures of them that we shared with them later.

DSC_3820.jpg

Another special moment - our HP Helion flag was obviously with us under this heavy rain! The surfers all knew of HP and a few even knew of HP Helion. It looks like our marketing is doing OK also in Norway!!! And the picture together shows how much they were enjoying their life. All told, I was thrilled to experience the Northern Lights and show some other adventurous souls of the intrepid character that makes up HP and the HP Helion team.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more