Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accelerating Digital Innovation: How to Quickly Get Started with Mendix for HP Helion

Stephen_Spector

Guest Author: Johan den Haan, CTO, Mendix & Gaurav Malhotra, Principal Marketing Manager, HP Helion Ready Program

In our last post, we talked about the growing need for cloud-native applications to be built quickly, deployed instantly and changed easily. This pressure stems from the fact that businesses across industries are racing to become digital businesses—to harness the power of modern software to create new products, channels and business models that simply weren’t accessible just a few years ago.

We believe that Mendix for HP Helion is a powerful enabler of enterprises’ digital journey. The key is our rapid application development capabilities, which enables a wider population of developers to build applications quickly, without needing to code. Web and mobile applications can be visually modeled in Mendix and deployed with one click to the HP Helion Development Platform for secure, scalable operations.

If this sounds appealing, you may be wondering how to get your hands on these capabilities. Let’s walk through the step by step process of setting up and deploying a Mendix application to HP Helion.

The Mendix Business Modeler is our multi-user modeling studio, where you can visually model your application’s domain model, application and process logic, UI, security, etc. If you’re new to Mendix, sign up for a free account and download the Mendix Business Modeler from our community App Store. Once you have downloaded the Business Modeler, register here to enable deployment to HP Helion.

Configure HP Helion Development Platform Settings in the Mendix Business Modeler

Once you’re in the Mendix Business Modeler, you can start building your application. To quickly see how the HP Helion integration works, I’d suggest downloading the Company Expenses app from our community App Store.

Next, you need to connect to your HP Helion Development Platform account to be able to deploy your application. Complete the following steps to configure your HP Helion settings:

• Go to Run > Edit HP Helion Settings.

mendix1.png

• Enter the following details in the settings window:
  • Click Next. You will be logged into your HP Helion Development Platform Instance.
  • Enter the following details:

me2.png

• Click Next. The App will be created in the Helion Dev Platform.

Add a Service using the Application Lifecycle Service Client

Before deploying your Mendix application, you will need to bind a Database and FileStore service to your App in HP Helion. To do that, complete the following steps:

• Go to your Development Platform web interface and log in with your HP Helion credentials.
    • Click on Download the Client on the Development Platform home screen:
    • Click on the OS applicable to your situation. This will download the Application Lifecycle Service (ALS) client needed to manage the HP Helion Development Platform Apps.
    • Unzip the downloaded package.
    • Open the Client and enter the following command:

helion > create-service postgresql NAMEOFTHESERVICE NAMEOFYOURAPP

• Select a plan and hit Enter.

me3.png

The service will be created and bound to your app.

me4.png

Add a FileStore Service to your App

To enable persistent file storage, you need to configure the S3 object store. Mendix supports S3 and object stores that enable the S3 API. To make sure the FileDocuments in your application persist, set up the following Environment Variables:

Variable

Value

Required

S3_ACCESS_KEY_ID

Access Key of your IAM credentials

Yes

S3_BUCKET_NAME

The bucket name which can be accessed using the IAM credentials above

Yes

S3_ENDPOINT

Not needed if you are using Amazon S3. If you are using an S3 compatible Object Store such as Riak CS, Ceph etc. you can use the domain name of the Object Store.

No

S3_KEY_SUFFIX

For multi-tenant buckets you can add a suffix to each object name. Access to suffixed objects can be restricted using IAM policies.

No

S3_PERFORM_DELETES

Set to 'false' when using the Object Store in append-only mode. In this mode backups can be created and restored via just the database.

No

S3_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY

Secret Key of your IAM credentials

Yes

S3_USE_V2_AUTH

Set to 'true' to force the S3 connector to use V2 of the AWS authentication protocol. This is required for S3 compatible file stores that do not support V4 of the authentication protocol, such as Riak CS, Ceph, OpenStack Swift etc.

No

• Go to the HP Helion Development Platform
  • Go to Applications from the top menu.
  • Click on the App you just created.
  • In the left sidebar, click Environment Variables and add the following required variables:

me5.png

• When you are done setting the variables, restart your App for the changes to take effect.

Deploy your Mendix Application to HP Helion Development Platform with One Click!

Now it’s time to deploy to HP Helion Development Platform from within Mendix. Just click the arrow for the Run options and select Run on HP Helion.

me6.png

With just one click, the Mendix application is deployed to the configured HP Helion Development Platform environment and started automatically. It’s that easy!

What happens in the background is that the visual application model is sent to HP Helion Development Platform and the Mendix CF Buildpack turns the model into a deployable artifact. The buildpack is open source and available on GitHub.

As you can see, Mendix for HP Helion Development Platform brings greater speed and agility to the delivery of cloud-native applications. These capabilities are crucial to enterprises looking to drive digital innovation and differentiate their business through modern, software-driven experiences that engage customers, empower employees and improve business operations.

Sign up for Mendix for HP Helion Development Platform and give it a try! Leave a comment below with your impressions or find us on Twitter at @johandenhaan, @gottosayit or follow @HPHelionCloud for regular updates.

Learn more:

1. Download our deployment guide
  2. On-demand webinar: Rapid App Development with Mendix for HP Helion
Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more