Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another cloud outage? It’s time to control your own destiny

Ops_Guest

Howard, Derek.PNGGuest post by Derek Howard, Worldwide Service Provider Marketing Manager, HP Enterprise Group

True confession: I was a late bloomer to the experience of binge watching shows on Netflix.  But now I’m hooked on a few shows including Breaking Bad, House of Cards, and the BBC’s Sherlock. Bottom line: binge watching can get intense. I can get pretty focused and seek to avoid any interruption when I am watching these shows. This got me thinking about the recent outage experienced by a major public cloud service provider, the second in only a week. One of the customers affected was Netflix, which helped make the outage a high-profile event. Especially for me.

The outages were a good reminder that for service providers and other cloud users, outages can result in service disruptions and performance slowdowns. The obvious consequences are lost revenue and customer dissatisfaction—to say nothing of security.

At the end of the day, public cloud services advantages—including scalability, availability, easy startup and a pay-per-use, OpEx consumption model—come at a cost. Specifically, public cloud services can cause enterprises to lose a degree of control over their data. There is also an increased likelihood of complications related to budgets, management, and legalities. And I’ve seen many instances of public cloud costs escalating when consumption grows and services are added.

This all begs the question: At what point does it make sense to build and operate a private or hybrid cloud? This is the topic of the recent 451 Research white paper, “Cloud pricing report: Spiraling cloud costs at the crossroads of maturity.”

According to the white paper, 451 Research has developed a service called Cloud Price Index (CPI) Private Edition, which measures hosting services, infrastructure, software, and operating systems from a range of providers. When combined with utilization data and other variables, these indicators enable service providers to compare the financial advantages and disadvantages of public and private clouds.

cloud stuck in first gear.PNG

Once armed with this information, service providers can decide on a mix of services, such as a hybrid solution in which a private cloud provides stable and constant capacity and a public cloud is used for bursting above maximum private cloud capacity. And to help with this transition, many service providers are working with HP for solutions ranging from technical consulting to software tools to financial advisory services.

The result? Increased cost control, performance, and reliability.

For more insight on current cloud economics and performance, read the 451 Research white paper “Cloud Pricing: Spiraling Cloud Costs at the Crossroads of Maturity”.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Ops_Guest

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more