cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Case Study: Why Helion could be the Game-Changer the Cloud has been waiting for

Stephen_Spector

ServerCloudCanada.png

Posted by Kevin Monis, Server Cloud Canada

Things are different in Canada: Radio stations must play a certain percentage of music from Canadian artists; Canadian homeowners are responsible for clearing the snow on municipal sidewalks in front of their properties; and all enterprise businesses must keep their data within the country.

Server Cloud Canada is a boutique provider of cloud services to enterprise business. When we started out five years ago, we thought we’d be a kind of standard resource for CPU, RAM, and storage—similar to the Amazons and Googles of the world. But what we turned out to be is more of a managed services provider, taking customers by the hand and ushering them into the cloud.

PROBLEM

Our own journey to the cloud was driven by big data. Now that we’re moving around these big files—pushing everything back and forth—having all the necessary equipment here on the premises doesn’t really make sense anymore. The consumption point is now completely mobile—completely out in the wild—so the cloud has emerged as the best delivery method for it.

For a managed service provider perspective, we want to be able to offer our customers the kind of savings and flexibility the cloud has to offer--which in many cases is considerable. Our typical customer moving to the cloud is looking at a 20-40 percent savings right across the board vs. purchasing their own infrastructure on a three-to-five year schedule. Add on top of that the flexibility of being able to add capacity at a moment’s notice, and you can see why we think the cloud is the way forward for our customers.

SOLUTION

When we started looking for a technology partner to take our business to the cloud, HP had a head start from our perspective. They have the track record, they have the Converged Infrastructure, and they have world-class networking solutions. They have every piece of the puzzle in one location, where other vendors are still piecing their own solutions together with multiple vendors involved.

WHY HP HELION?

We thought, if we’re moving to the cloud, we really want a holistic solution, and someone who would stand behind that holistic solution for us. That’s why we chose HP Helion.  

Working with HP has enabled us to scale up very quickly and simply by allowing us as a customer to stop thinking about the separate pieces that make up a data center. I no longer have server, storage, or networking guys; all I have now are cloud guys, and they do everything together. Having that clarity of focus and that simplicity of working has allowed us to very quickly implement new infrastructure all across Canada.

And the fact that Helion is built on an OpenStack standard means that we and our customers have a standardized layer that everyone can talk to. We think OpenStack is going to be the thing that removes vendor lock-in from the space and makes the cloud accessible to everyone. It’s a game changer.

HP has really taken the initiative to make Helion a unique and universal cloud solution, and it has just completely knocked our socks off.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more