cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Foundry and HP: the Future is Unfolding

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Mark Atwood, Director of Open Source Engagement

I joined HP to change the world.

One of the places where I have had the privilage to help change the world has just been announced: the Cloud Foundry Foundation.

For much of this year, I've been working with peers from Pivotal Labs, and from IBM, Rackspace, and SAP, and from EMC and VMware, to put this together.  We've been inspired by the successes of and tried to take lessons learned from the OpenStack Foundation, and the Eclipse, Apache, and Linux Foundations, and from many other software development and standards organizations and activities, small and large.  We've spent long meetings in strange conference rooms in many different cities together, and on many many conference calls, written out reams of pages of notes, and talked together, and listened to each other.

We've tried to square the circles of coming up with something that will work well for the developers of Cloud Foundry, and for their employers, and will work for the deployers and packagers of Cloud Foundry, large and not as large, and will work for the developers and development orgs that write the ecosystem of apps that will run on Cloud Foundry.   I still sometimes have nightmares that I've overlooked something critical, or that it will all fall apart because of some mistake or oversight on our part, but we've worked hard to avoid that.

HP plans on being a packager and deployer of Cloud Foundry, and plans on supporting the development of the codebase and the development of the app ecosystem, under the Helion brand, as the "HP Helion Development Platform."  This is an inexorable part of our vision of "the new style of IT".  We've bet big on OpenStack, and now it's time to open the open source cloud to application developers, and we see Cloud Foundry as the way to do that.

Last May I wrote "Cloud Foundry and HP: What does the future hold?"  right before the Cloud Foundry Summit in San Francisco in June.  The future I saw there is continuing to unfold.  There surely will be the next Cloud Foundry Summit announced soon.  I will be there.

If you have any questions about my and HP's involvement with Cloud Foundry and with other open source governance, I am always reachable at mark.atwood@hp.com.

Let's change the world a little more.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
Jan 30-31, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Join us online to talk directly with our HPE experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Days. P...
Read more
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more