Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud Optimizer 3.0: A gift your cloud will simply love!

Ops_Guest

Guest post by Harmeet Singh, HPE Engineer

Believe it or not, one of the busiest gift-giving seasons is just around the corner. I was shocked to learn that Valentine’s Day is worth well over $20 billion to businesses and retailers. And hybrid IT infrastructure, AKA hybrid cloud, has allowed thousands of businesses to handle seasonal spikes like Valentine’s Day without spending a fortune on IT infrastructure. It enables service guarantee and user experience even when then is a sudden rush to place orders.

Candy.jpg

But this year, why not break the rules of gift-giving? As a hybrid cloud administrator, I would like to show my affection for my hybrid IT infrastructure, which deserves some great gifts for keeping up with expectations amid all the chaos and disruptions happening in digital world—and it can do even more if we give is something it will simply love. This year, let’s give our hybrid IT infrastructure the latest HPE Cloud Optimizer. I think your cloud will simply love it.

HPE Cloud Optimizer 3.0, which was recently released, has had some great success stories with its previous versions and continues to bring in innovation and enthusiasm with every new version. In this release, there are some exciting new capabilities. At the same time, existing features have been sharpened. Let’s have a look at what’s beneath the proverbial wrapping paper.

OpenStack.jpgHPE Helion OpenStack
is the new entrant in the existing spectrum of cloud platforms that can now be monitored using Cloud Optimizer. HPE Helion 2.0 is one of the leading private cloud platform based on OpenStack. Cloud Optimizer’s new version gives you unparalleled performance and capacity optimization insights about Helion OpenStack.

The business metric analyzer for CSA cloud users allows you to use business groups to effectively plan and manage capacity allocation based on changing business requirements. By creating logical groups of infrastructure components, you can extract insights, assess impact and plan for capacity allocation in Cloud Optimizer. With this release, the feature is extended to being able to work with CSA subscriptions for cloud consumers. For your CSA subscription, based on your business metric data, you can actually predict the capacity requirements for any change in business conditions and plan to augment resources well in advance without having any impact on your business.

Cloud1.jpg

Better user experience with revamped interface. There are some great UX improvements you can see while touring Cloud Optimizer 3.0. Some of the more noticeable upgrades are in the area of CSA integration, where you can view zoomable treemaps with a particular customer subscription and flip between many subscriptions at the same time.

Cloud3.pngCloud2.png

Consumer level treemaps will allow you to view only subscribed VMs with key indicative metrics being color-coded. There are also forecasting capacities to predict resource usage, including information about days to capacity.

Cloud4.jpg

Integration with HPE IT Business Analytics (ITBA) for resource utilization based billing and chargeback. “Measured service” is an important tenet even in hybrid IT infrastructure. This helps the CFO’s office in implementing ABC (Activity Based Costing), a better way of cost accounting to measure each project’s viability and profitability. HPE IT Business Analytics (formerly Executive Scorecard) gathers metrics from diverse sources across IT systems to build key performance indicators. With the integration, ITBA will now be able to generate utilization-based chargeback/showback reports that help to easily and accurately capture the cost to your LOB (Line of Business) subscription.

Cloud5.jpgNew UI for LDAP configuration and support for MS AD LDS. Until this previous release, LDAP integration was enabled via manual configuration. Now, you have a feature-rich user interface which not only supports LDAP (OpenLDAP and MS AD), but also supports Microsoft’s Lightweight Directory service (AD LDS).

Improved capacity analysis and smart storage reclamation. There are some remarkable improvements in accuracy of business metric analysis, capacity planning forecasts and placement decisions, which has been enabled by capturing more real-time utilization details and increasing the breadth of such metrics.

The storage reclamation feature enables purging of the allocated storage by identifying orphaned VMDK files, VMs with too many snapshots and identifying old snapshots.

Find out more on the Cloud Optimizer page here. Don’t hold back—take it out for a spin yourself!

• HPE Cloud
About the Author

Ops_Guest

Comments
RobertoMeSu

Hellow.  I wan´t to add OpenStack Datasource version 8 RedHat into my Cloud Optimizer Version : 03.00.152.

Are compatibles thes versions?

My email direcction: roberto.menendez@hpcds.com

Regards.

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more