Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing AWS and OpenStack Database as a Service

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Ken Rugg, CEO, Tesora

Our company is all about delivering our Tesora Database as a Service (DBaaS) Platform, which is based on OpenStack Trove and can run with Helion OpenStack.

Because so many people are familiar with Amazon Web Services (AWS), we often find ourselves having to explain how DBaaS on OpenStack compares to Amazon’s data services like the Relational Database Service (RDS) or DynamoDB. In addition to giving the high-level comparison, I always like to point out the areas where Tesora DBaaS Platform provides clear advantages and I thought it would be useful to highlight some of those here.

First, Tesora DBaaS Platform runs in the data center, as well as the public cloud. This is important because we know that, in many cases, enterprises prefer their sensitive data is stored in their data center as opposed to the public cloud. Inherently, there is more control and visibility of security and privacy of the data on-premises. With OpenStack, your data can be managed on-premises, in a hosted private cloud or a public cloud like OVH or Rackspace, as examples. Some of these service providers even offer customers a built-in, Trove-based enterprise DBaaS. With AWS, on the other hand, the only option is public cloud. Also, when using OpenStack DBaaS, there is no lock-in and it is virtually the same whether run in an on-premises data center or on a cloud.

Second, as an open source project, OpenStack DBaaS is supported by a wide and vibrant community with more than 200 individuals contributing from 40 different companies including HPE, Tesora and others. In contrast, the software AWS’s data services and the APIs to manage them are all proprietary and controlled solely by Amazon.

Third, you’re in full control of timelines with Tesora DBaaS Platform in terms of applying updates, which are rolled out on a regular basis. Enterprises can decide if and when they roll out these updates. In the case of AWS, it decides when to make updates to its software and then rolls those out to its users with no choice.

Supports Popular Databases.jpg

I saved the best for last. Only Tesora DBaaS Platform provides a single framework to operate 16 different database technologies in a consistent way. Those include both SQL and NoSQL datastores. While Amazon supports its own derivatives of SQL and NoSQL databases, Tesora’s enterprise-hardened version of OpenStack Trove supports the databases that your organization is using today including Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB and Cassandra, as examples.

In the end, whether you choose AWS, OpenStack or some other solution, database- as-a-service in its many forms can help enterprises be more agile and cost effective versus traditional on-premises databases. This article, “Why DBaaS Will Be the Next Big Thing in Database Management,” is recommended for anyone who wants to learn more and for more about comparisons, take a look here at “7 Things OpenStack DBaaS Can Do that AWS Cannot”.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more