Grounded in the Cloud
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Connecting to a Windows Instance – Helpful Troubleshooting

‎11-14-2013 02:26 PM - edited ‎10-26-2015 06:12 PM

In today’s Eating the Dog Food blog I am following up on a previous post, Launching a Windows VM on HP Public Cloud. The most common issue from customers to support is the retrieval of a Windows administrator password for the newly created instance. Support has several updates on this issue:

When attempting to get your Windows Administrator Password you may obtain the following error screen, I have seen this several times myself:

Possible causes and associated fixes for this error:

• Reboot of your Windows Instance
  • FIX – Change your Windows Administration password
  • You built your Windows server using a snapshot of an older Windows instance
  • FIX -  Use the previous Instance password
  • You've changed your Administrator password from the default password
  • FIX - If you have forgotten your Administrator password and don't have any other admin-level user accounts setup then you will not be able to reset it
  • Your instance hasn't completed building
  • FIX – It can take up to 15 minutes for a Windows instance to properly configure; check console log for status (blank means not complete)
  • Your key pair is actually invalid
  • FIX - : Ensure that you're pasting the entire contents of your .pem file. It should begin with -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY----- and end with -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

If you are still having issues, please contact the HP Cloud Support team to assist in obtaining access to your Windows instance via the online chat in the console or email.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
Nov 29 - Dec 1
London
Discover 2016 London
Learn how to thrive in a world of digital transformation at our biggest event of the year, Discover 2016 London, November 29 - December 1.
Read more
Each Month in 2016
Software Expert Days - 2016
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more