Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Technology Transformation Q&A Partner Session at HPE Discover

HaleyC

Chief Digital Officer from Logicalis UK, Chris Gabriel talked about the partnership with Hewlett Packard Enterprise, the way Logicalis built a Go To Market Plan to help customers in the digital transformation journey and highlighted key findings from a recent customer implementation.

stephane.png

The interview was conducted by Stephane Bureau HPE HybridIT/Cloud Channel marketing EMEA (left) and Chris Gabriel Chief Digital Officer Logicalis UK (right)

Q1: To kick off this interview, can you please introduce Logicalis as a company?

Chris Gabriel:  Logicalis is an international company based out of the U.K. We’re in 24 countries around the world, Latin America, North America, Europe and Asia. We are a blended company. We’re a systems integrator, traditional systems integrator, managed service provider and also cloud solutions and services provider. So I think we span the entire supply chain and also technology span of the marketplace today. Over the last two years and certainly the last twelve months we’ve really seen a renewed emphasis on digitization and across sectors, not just in the way you’d expect it such as retail or retail banking but also really across a number of sectors and things like higher education, health all starting to become more digital focused organizations.

Q2:  Logicalis has been a technology reseller for many years, can you explain how Logicalis has been transforming itself to address the opportunities delivered by the digitization?

Chris Gabriel:  Logicalis, as you said, has been a technology reseller for many years and I would argue we still are a technology reseller, it’s just different technology. So we did a few things to change our business about three, four years ago. The most critical thing we did was to start to focus on software and specifically on automation software. We realized that what was happening in the cloud in terms of heavy automation, self-service was just as important inside the customer’s organization as it was to us as a service provider. So we created, really, a single view of the world which was we would offer cloud service whether they were on prem, hybrid, or public and then blend those together with a common skillset. So we’ve invested heavily in software skills, heavily in automation skills and we’ve taken the work that we’ve done in our own cloud or in our customer’s clouds and we’ve blended that into a single offering with a single skillset which is now very compelling to customers as the market is now moving the way that we’ve been hoping it would over the last two to three years.

Q3:  As an HPE Cloud Builders certified partner, can you describe your relationship with Hewlett-Packard Enterprise?

Chris Gabriel:  Our relationship with Hewlett-Packard Enterprise is really coming into its own now. We have been a long standing HP technology partner selling storage and services and data center networks. Now our relationship with Hewlett-Packard Enterprise I think spans the Hewlett-Packard Enterprise go to market strategy which is to sell a different kind of technology moving from hardware to a more software value based proposition and that means moving up the stack in terms of software defined. And if I look at Helion and I look at Synergy, our skill sets really match your portfolio now in how we can add value to our customers. What we’ve also done is made sure that when we’re building clouds ourselves we're also taking those skills across our business. So our team of engineers and our skillset has also changed over the last few years to become that software automation based partner who can deliver on the latest technology while still selling storage and servers and networks. Our engagement with HPE is now in software. It’s in hardware. It’s in cloud. And it really is that blended offering of what we think hopefully makes us stand out in the HPE partner community to the HPE customer base.

Q4:  You just recently signed a large deal with a University. Can you explain their needs and especially how they are currently transforming their operating model? How cloud is bringing them even greater business value?

Chris Gabriel:  So the win with this University, which I believe is the first Helion win in higher education in the U.K., shows the real power of the new Hewlett-Packard Enterprise offering. They call themselves a university but if you really talk to them they’re becoming a digitally based business whether that’s educating young adults, whether that’s working with businesses in the community. They run a number of business parks as well. All of that they now say is turning into them into a digital organization.

Q5:  How cloud is bringing them even greater business value?

Chris Gabriel:  One of the things that they’ve already focused on is some people in their business had a view that the public cloud would solve all of their problems and they should just become a public cloud user. But they really looked long and hard about their business, the agility it needs, the scale it needs, the flexibility in new services. What we’re able to do with them is really come to the view that a private cloud built on HPE Helion would offer them the same agility, flexibility as the public cloud, but in a way that allowed them to make more business decisions based on their priorities not on what the public cloud was offering to them at the time. So they’ve really taken the view of cloud they’re embedding it into what they call a digital campus strategy in as much as they don’t think they bought a new data center solution. They think and they believe they’ve bought a digital platform that allows their organization now to scale, flex, and deliver new services at the speed of their business needs, rather than at the speed-- the technology they chose historically would have delivered.

Q6: So they position digital transformation to be the basis of success for the University…

Chris Gabriel:  Yes, I genuinely think they understand the value of the transformation of story around digital and how they can turn their education organization, the way that they teach, the way that they develop innovation with third parties, the way that they support their ecosystem of organizations now through changing the way IT thinks about what IT does. So when you speak to the head of IT he will refer to himself naturally as the head of a digital organization, and IT is part of that. But they really have changed their mindset and therefore the conversations they can have with academics, with the finance side of their organization is also changed as well. So I think they’re one of the few organizations that have made the full mind shift to becoming digital and then everything follows from that strategy rather than trying to inch forward in terms of thinking about storage in a different way or compute in a different way. They really have flipped their thoughts. And then they see themselves as that digital innovation enabler, now.

Q7:  Did they consider such digital transformation as competitive in the education market?

Chris Gabriel:  Yes, I think they see the digital campus strategy as a massive differentiator both in terms of their education business but also in terms of the other things, the research that they do, attracting commercial organizations to work with them is, I think, their presentation of themselves as this digital innovator. It will drive the outcomes in terms of their educational organization. But it also provides them with a totally differentiated offer to the marketplace which as a university now you have to have to that. You’re no longer just a school for older children, you are now a business and they really see digital as being at the heart of that value proposition.

Q8:  Can you elaborate on how Logicalis approach digital transformation customer needs and what is the contribution of the HPE Helion portfolio in your cloud service offering?

Chris Gabriel: Logicalis has built a go to market really around taking our customers on this digital transformation journey, if you will, and HPE is fundamentally at the heart of that. The Logicalis go to market IT speed to business and IT by wire which is the physical way that we do that is totally aligned to HPE. And the reason of that is HPE Helion offer the full stack. So we aren’t just focused on trying to sell different types of storage. We’re not focused on just trying to replace existing business with hyper converged. We’re actually taking our customers on a digital transformation journey which is the infrastructure which we’re working on HPE on converged infrastructure and hyper converged infrastructure all the way through to the service management stack. So we’re training all of our sales people. We’re retraining all of our pre-sales people. We’re investing with HPE in terms of new skills across that stack. So our stack is a five layer stack and HPE are in every single one of those layers. And more importantly solutions like Helion and now Synergy are that stack and those layers in a single offering that’s predesigned and prebuilt by HPE which we can take to market. So I don’t think we could get any more closely aligned if we tried. The value that we’re seeing is customers really get the value of it. So we’re seeing great traction in the marketplace, both in terms of wins with HPE Helion but also in terms of transforming the minds of our customers to engage in that IT transformation down but also infrastructure transformation up.

Q9:  Can you be more precise on Logicalis’ IT by Wire offering?

Chris Gabriel:  The Logicalis go to market around IT by wire is a five layer stack to provide digital transformation to our customers. And those five layers from the physical infrastructure through to the way that IT runs IT in terms of service management is we’ve managed to be able to align the HPE solution stack directly against our five layers. And, in fact, it’s the only part that’s aligned to all of those five layers. What’s really exciting is with solutions like Helion and now Synergy is it’s not just the individual layers that HPE bring us. They bring us the prepackaged, prebuilt solutions that we can take as one to a customer and transform much more quickly their digital platforms.

Q10:  Can you elaborate more on the cloud integration capabilities delivered by HPE Helion?

Chris Gabriel: One of the key layers within the stack is cloud integration. Customers now expect to live in a hybrid world. I think all of the requirements we have from customers now are all hybrid. Nobody wants a standalone solution. So what we’ve been able to do with the HPE Helion stack is really understand the value of integrating both into other internal private clouds and also external public clouds. But also the fact that Helion supports both traditional hypervisors such as VMware but also OpenStack gives our customers choice in that direction as well. With HPE Helion we can run production workloads. We can run development workloads. We can run them on prem, off prem across multiple hypervisors. So really, what the customer critically wants is choice and what we want to do with HPE Helion is deliver that choice in both the robust enterprise way but also in that fast agile development cycle that all of our customers also want to go through.

Q11:  What about management and control that the HPE Helion offering is delivering as well?

Chris Gabriel:  Well, in a way the management control is part of the most important piece. If you think about the way business wants to have digital delivered is control security governance: they expect that at the very front of the stack. They’re not thinking storage and servers. They’re thinking catalog, governance, security, control. So we are very much focused in terms of how we work with customers, that we start with what their business demands are, have they mapped their business processes, how do we deliver that agility but keep the control? And if you can deliver choice and control you really deliver the key things that the business now expects from IT because they get that and they expect that from the cloud.

Q12: Can you provide already some insight about business results or outcomes from the university using this new digital platform or what kind of outcomes they are currently expecting to reach?

Chris Gabriel:  So the investment by the university and what’s very interesting for us is they discounted public cloud in terms of a single platform. They also discounted some of the hyper converged players because they wanted to build a new digital platform to deliver a number of business outcomes. It couldn’t just be technology simplification at the bottom end. It had to be full service delivery model. So the CFO is expecting more delivery services at more predictable cost.  They’re heavily using the HPE Helion analytics financial planning. So the CFO first outcome is I need to know how I can linearly grow my infrastructure and what price that’s going to be and predict that. So the CFO gets a really big win which is that he knows what it’s going to cost him over the next three to five years. What the University gets is better digital learning. It allows him to work with digital partners and deliver digital innovation. The university has a real appetite for growth and therefore the IT team don’t really know what’s coming next. Well, with HPE Helion, they don’t have to know what’s coming next because they know they can always support it. So from cost of visibility, predictability and the key thing for the IT is agility and response to the business’s needs. The fascinating thing is they think they get all of that with the HPE Helion stack.

Q13:  Finally, what type of cloud integrated solutions were finally selected by the University?

Chris Gabriel:  So the solution selected by the University is the full HPE CloudSystem solution built on hyper converged infrastructure from HPE including CSA [Cloud Service Automation] and all the way through to the analytics package as well. So it’s a full transformation. The reason the university announced we bought a new digital platform, not the subcomponents is they really wanted to transform from infrastructure all the way through to the way that they operate, run and analyze the value they get from that investment.

Q14:  I have a final question: what makes Hewlett-Packard Enterprise a good partner for you

Chris Gabriel:  Hewlett-Packard Enterprise has always been a good partner historically. What makes them a really great partner going to the future is really the new levels of investment in innovation, really the transformation. If I think of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise over the last two years in terms of an organization that is both-- the usual things it’s always been the reliability, the flexibility but now the innovation is really huge for us on our customers. The ability for us to not only transform our business, transform our people skills and our engineers are so excited to get hold of the latest HPE technology to understand the roadmap and the vision. And then you get launches like Synergy which is totally market transformative for us. So I think the traits that HP always had are in HPE but with that new found focus, that new found agility and innovation is really making us really excited about the future of working together.

• HPE Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

HaleyC

I manage the HPE Helion social media brand accounts promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds.I have put my toes in the ocean of cloud evangelism for the enterprise IT industry. But my expertise is in Social Media and Digital Marketing.

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more