Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Cloud Q&A with HP Helion: What is the concept of Cloud Native about?

Stephen_Spector

Helion book.PNG

Welcome to our new weekly cloud blog series where we answer common cloud questions our enterprise customers are asking.

Question: What is the concept of Cloud Native about?

The term Cloud Native is actively being used in the cloud community and is a reference to an application built specifically to run on a cloud platform. This is in comparison to an existing application developed to run on a specific operating system—often referred to as a legacy application. For example, Microsoft Office which has been a long standing enterprise solution on the desktop was recently updated by Microsoft and now offered via the cloud, Microsoft 365.

Cloud Native applications are able to take advantage of several features that are offered by the cloud platform:

• Rapid development, deployment, and test environments
  • Horizontal scale to meet fluctuating demand
  • Flexibility in app hosting including private, public, and hybrid clouds
  • Resiliency from hardware failure by allowing underlying cloud infrastructure to de-couple the application from the hardware
  • Security for access control of the application across massive infrastructure  

In HP Helion, we offer an enterprise developer platform in the cloud called HP Helion Development Platform, a Cloud Foundry-based Platform as a Service solution that delivers a set of APIs for developers to rapidly create solutions for HP Helion. A recent blog by Amy Feldman and Colin Henry from HP Helion highlights the architectural advantages of building an application for the cloud vs a traditional format.

In this video, Terrance Ngai, HP Helion offers his thoughts on how to write a cloud native application.

More information on this topic:

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more
What's New