Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Cloud Q&A with HP Helion: Why is open source important to cloud?

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Haley Carriere, Social Media Strategist, HP Helion

Welcome to our new weekly cloud blog series where we answer common cloud questions our enterprise customers are asking.

Question: Why is open source important to cloud?

The definition of open source is as it sounds. The opensource.org definition is access to source code and has to meet 10 criteria to qualify. I’m not wasting your attention span listing the criteria but you can find it here. In the new age of cloud open source is more important than ever. Thanks to open source enterprises using cloud technology can find the right mix of public and private. I like to think of open source as a cookie recipe. The original starts with plain chocolate chip cookies but as the recipe is passed around, depending on the cook, the ingredient list can be extended or the cook time tweaked. Leaving it to the cook to make a different tasting batch or sticking to the original.

A community follows open source

haleypci.jpgOpen Source is important because it allows for collaboration with like- minded innovators. Take the open source cloud computing software, OpenStack, for example. OpenStack is backed by a huge community of individual members and companies of all sizes including Rackspace, IBM, Red Hat, Cisco, Dell, Oracle, and HP. We use OpenStack as the foundation of our cloud infrastructure, HP Helion OpenStack. With open source comes shared knowledge. The OpenStack community holds meet-ups, online forums, mailing list, and blogs.

Open source frees up your choices

It isn’t only about public cloud. Or only about private cloud. The marketplace is asking for choices or for both. Open Source development allows enterprise customers using this technology to take hardware from their neighbor John, software from Betty down the street, and cloud services that they developed to make one hybrid cloud custom to their business. Open source provides freedom to hybrid cloud by giving the customer the flexibility to find their right hybrid cloud mix. Watch why Bill Franklin, VP OpenStack & Technology Enablement, HP Helion says open source is better.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more