Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eucalyptus Spotlight: From the Lab to the Enterprise with Open Source Clouds

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Colby Dyess, Director, HPE Helion

I always like going to visit the HPE Helion Eucalyptus team at their headquarters near the University of California, Santa Barbara. In addition to being situated in one of the loveliest spots on the planet, the Eucalyptus office in some ways still feels more like a university computer science department than a corporate HQ.

Throughout the building, there’s an appreciable passion for research, solving problems together, and innovating with a spirit of discovery and curiosity. There’s also no shortage of jokes, good-natured pranks, and craft brew. Just like college, but maybe with better beer. The academic vibe makes sense; Eucalyptus began as a research project at UCSB.

During my most recent visit, I talked with Eucalyptus co-founder Dmitrii Calzago about the journey from the lab to the enterprise. How Eucalyptus evolved into an open solution for building private clouds that are compatible with Amazon Web Services (AWS) makes for a pretty interesting story (spoiler: tornados are involved).

Watch Dmitrii share Eucalyptus’ origins with me in this episode of Eucalyptus Spotlight. Pay close attention and you might see some of those collegiate hijinks I was talking about.

Visit the HPE Helion Eucalyptus page for more information or give the product a try yourself with FastStart.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
  • HPE Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more