Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Helion Professional Services - A 6 Month Check-Up

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Simon Hassall, HP Helion Professional Services

Last September, we announced the HP Helion Professional Services organisation which provides an OpenStack capability  to support our Enterprise customers. This announcement enabled us to expand our leadership within the OpenStack Community – we are not only  a leading code contributor and have  been running our own  OpenStack technology based public cloud for four years, but can now also share our expertise and learnings in OpenStack technology with our customers.

Now we are six months into our adventure, HP Helion Professional Services continues to support customers on their cloud journey – helping set strategy, define application migration, design cloud infrastructure and implement the final solution.  

Customers who are engaged with us are excited about what OpenStack means for their business – they love the agility, lack of vendor lock-in and the transition between old and new.  Most are hesitant to initially venture out on their own or have started out with OpenStack technology and have not been as successful at adopting or with the implementation as they would like.    

They see HP's expertise in not only OpenStack, but our existing customer base and  work with our WW consultants on determining the right fit for OpenStack technology in their hybrid IT environment to realise business outcomes

I have spoken to many customers who know that HP is the right partner to help them assess the role OpenStack cloud should play in helping their use cases.  We have already made a material difference with customers who were early adopters of OpenStack technology, because they have been able to leverage our expertise to improve the performance of their existing OpenStack clouds.

It does not come as any surprise to me that our customers are concerned that they do not have the skills that are required for OpenStack clouds -  so they are looking to HP for help.  Building on our existing resources we have spent the last few months finding the best OpenStack skilled consultants – our recruiting efforts have been exhaustive and extensive – and the level of expertise we have in our practice continues to grow. 

It would be remiss if I did not talk about our HP Helion OpenStack distribution.  This is obviously a key area that we support with our Professional Services practice. Our HP Helion OpenStack services include the popular HP Helion OpenStack Accelerator Service that enables our customers get an OpenStack cloud up and running within days. This is something our customers are asking for as they evaluate OpenStack technology.  The more I talk to customers about this service, the more I see that this is truly something that customers want – to satisfy an appetite and enter into the OpenStack cloud area.

As I look into 2015, I plan on continuing to spend a lot of time talking to customers, partners and  sales organizations to understand how they are utilizing OpenStack technology. I want to know how our service practice is adding value as well as the role that OpenStack cloud plays in support of their business outcomes.  Our practice is not just here to add a skill-set that is missing from their IT organization. We are here to help customers define their hybrid IT strategy, help them deliver new services and drive innovation,  and meet their business and IT goals. We truly want to be a long-term partner in our customer’s success.

My next blog will focus on the learning and some of the key successes and aspects to consider before or whilst embarking into the exciting world of OpenStack.

If you want to know more, I had a recent conversation with Tom Norton, VP HP Helion Professional Services, about our OpenStack technology capabilities, which you can listen to  here   

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more