Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE Docker Hybrid IT Partnership Guide Part 2: How it affect Channel Partners

FlorianKampes

In my last blog post I talked about the technology behind Docker, the Hewlett Packard and Docker partnership, and Docker’s impact on the cloud market. Now I want to dive deeper into implications for the Channel, specifically what Docker means for HPE Channel Partners, their customers and what the main use cases are for Docker.

What it means channel partners?

The market unique partnership between Docker and Hewlett Packard Enterprise will be a huge selling point for HPE channel partners as it enables them to deliver new and exciting value for customers.

HPE channel partners will be able to provide customers with the opportunity to test and experiment with containers. This enables developers to develop in containers and begin to learn how to use them. Customers will benefit from increased  flexibility and the ability to add scale to their IT infrastructure.

The relationship delivers a strong selling point for HPE servers, and enables channel partners to differentiate themselves from the competition. Your customers get something new, exciting and great without driving higher costs.

What it means for your customers?

Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Docker’s new partnership enables your customers to start developing and deploying applications on containers. This partnership provides the unique opportunity of evaluating container technologies without additional costs or hardware. All new Hewlett Packard Enterprise servers are capable of running Docker containers.

Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Docker offer a fully tested and ready to use infrastructure for your customers to develop, test and deploy on. Due to the integration of Docker in every part of the infrastructure the transition to using containers in IT will be as easy as possible.

In addition to the Docker Engine,  Hewlett Packard Enterprise will provide an upgrade to Docker’s enterprise version, Docker Datacenter. This upgrade will empower your customers to run Docker containers in production. This upgrade contains Docker’s security features and enterprise grade container management and orchestration.

To complete the Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Docker offering HPE will provide your customers with support for both, the hardware and the Docker container solution. This is a market unique offering with a full support from one single vendor. This accelerates all support cases and improves the stability and reliability of your customer’s systems.

This overall collection of services and offerings will provide your customers with the opportunity to be able to transform to a hybrid IT infrastructure. It enables your customers to migrate workloads from the cloud to on-premises or reverse. This will enhance the agility and flexibility in your customer’s IT infrastructure, applications and development. It will also  provide faster go-to-market for your customer’s applications.

Where are the use cases?

1. Continuous Integration and Delivery

Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) is one of the most prevalent use cases of Docker users.

The integration between auto deployment tools like Jenkins and Docker leads to a faster, cheaper and easier software building and deployment.

CI and CD promotes and enables the collaboration between developers and the software QA. Developers just commit their code to the master branch. The auto deployment builds the application and will deploy it in a container. This enables the QA to test the application right after programming.

2. DevOps

According to Gartner, DevOps will evolve to a mainstream strategy employed by 25 percent of the Global 2000 organizations in 2016.

Traditionaly, in DevOps there was a fence between the developers, who want to build and ship their code, and the IT operations teams/System admins, who are looking to maintain control and security over the company’s IT.

Docker supports the DevOps process in three ways:

1. Dockerizing the application development will reduce the cost and risk of software delivery while increasing the rate of change.
  2. Docker images with its embedded metadata helps pinpoint defects fast so that fixes can be made quickly and continuously.
  3. Docker enables a company to foster a cultural of continuous experimentation with a streamlined, easy to use tool sets.

3. Infrastructure Optimization

Docker container contain only the necessary. Enterprises can reduce the amount of needed storage, eliminate unessential hypervisor licenses and need less operating system licenses.

Virtual machines can be inefficient. VMs include a guest OS within each machine, eating up storage capacity. Docker containers are lightweight runtimes, saving valuable hardware resources.

Docker also increases the flexibility on cloud providers. Due to the easy container migration enterprises have the ability to leverage multiple cloud providers and move workloads across them as needed.

4. Big Data

According to IDC, “By 2020, the amount of high-value data worth analyzing will double and 60% of information delivered to decision makers will be actionable”.

Many enterprises which are deploying Hadoop have to handle a big amount of unstructured data like videos, metadata and images. Many different tools are used to gather this information which leads to the need for a uniform way of transporting this data across data analytics platforms. Docker allows enterprises to easily move applications across different infrastructure types. This enables the customer to experiment with the data and analyze it in detail.

Containers are one of the most growing technologies in the modern IT world, and Docker is one of the fastest growing IT companies. These two facts should make channel partners and their customers consider the value of containers and of the HPE and Docker one-stop solutions. If you want to accelerate your business it is now time to provide container offerings to your customers. 

• HPE Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

FlorianKampes

I am studying Business Information Systems at Hewlett Packard Enterprise Germany in the DualStudy Program. This program combines 50% high-level academic study at university with 50% practical on-the-job experience. My studies combine business knowledge with IT and technology skills like programming, database development and development of distributed systems. During my studies I worked for Hewlett Packard Enterprise in various positions. In my current internship in Palo Alto I help to run the marketing for the Evolution of the Channel.

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more