Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPE Helion OpenStack 3.0 –accelerating enterprise adoption of OpenStack® technology

Stephen_Spector

interrante.jpg

Guest Post: Mark Interrante, SVP Engineering, HPE Helion

This weekend, I will travel to the OpenStack Summit in Austin.  As a Texan, I can’t wait! In addition to enjoying all that Austin has to offer (barbeque, queso, guac, beer), we will launch HPE Helion OpenStack 3.0. I’m proud and excited about the HPE Helion OpenStack 3.0 (HOS) release, and I want to tell you more about what’s in this release and what it means for you, our customers.

Operations. Scalability. Configurability. Control. When enterprises talk to us about what they need to see from the OpenStack community, they focus on these themes. They understand the promise of the OpenStack project — an economical, open source, API driven infrastructure-as-a-service — but they need solutions to ease the challenges of configuring, running, and operating OpenStack services in production.  This feedback guides our product team, and we have focused our efforts in HPE Helion OpenStack 3.0 on delivering value in these key areas.

More concretely, let me highlight some of the capabilities that we are introducing in the HOS 3.0 release:

Expanded configurability and deployment options

As our customers look to bring OpenStack technology into their datacenters, they understand that it must integrate and work well with existing technologies. As a result, we put a strong focus on enabling greater flexibility in configuration and deployment. With HOS 3.0, we expand hypervisor support to include RHEL KVM support for compute nodes as well as adding the ability to run multiple hypervisors in the same cloud. HOS 3.0 also introduces Boot from SAN support to enable customers to leverage existing investment in blade environments, and expands bare metal support. We understand that your cloud is not an island.

Further, for our customers who require highly personalized configurations, HPE Helion OpenStack 3.0 provides a robust, flexible product platform, with which our HPE Technical Services Consulting organization can work to deliver for you the configurations and integrations you require.

Tighter administrative controls

For any enterprise production technology, lower administrative burden and increased security controls are must haves. There’s solid innovation here in HOS 3.0 as well. The HOS 3.0 release delivers security improvements to support PCI readiness, enabling our customers to enable PCI-compliant workloads in their cloud. In addition, HOS 3.0 delivers data in transit protection by encrypting communications between internal and external APIs. And, with HOS 3.0, our customers gain improved live migration and resizing controls for workloads running on their clouds. Building on the operations and administrative capabilities we introduced in HOS 2.0 — notably Helion Lifecycle Manager (HLM), and the Operations Console, built on the Monasca project — these new features in HOS 3.0 offer our customers the types of controls they need in order to more easily run and operate OpenStack code in production in their environment.

Scalability

Beyond these themes, we have also focused heavily on fundamentals — specifically, performance and scalability. We have doubled our out-of-the box scalability to 200 compute nodes per region and have achieved higher levels with the support of our professional services teams. Quite simply, as our customers think about making an investment and bet on OpenStack code to gain agility at lower cost, they need to know that our solutions can scale to their needs. HOS 3.0 is a big step forward, and some of our early adoption program customers are excited with the progress.

OpenStack community contributions

In addition to these focused areas of work, our team has also been deeply involved in the OpenStack community. We have made numerous contributions across a broad range of the OpenStack project, with contributions to Nova, Neutron, Keystone, Barbican, Glance, Cinder, Swift, Horizon, Monasca, Heat, Ceilometer, Ironic, Freezer, Designate, and others.

This community-centric contribution and commitment is very important to me personally. I have been involved in the OpenStack project since 2010, and in a former role, I led efforts to build Rackspace’s OpenStack cloud. Like many of you, I strongly believe in a world where open wins. In the HPE Helion team, we are proud of our strong commitment to and strong engagement with the OpenStack community. We are thrilled with the progress that the community has made with the Mitaka release, and the team and I are excited to work with everyone designing and planning Newton.

See y’all in Austin!

Mark Interrante
SVP Engineering
@interrante

The OpenStack™ Word Mark and OpenStack Logo are either registered trademarks/service marks or trademarks/service marks of the OpenStack Foundation, in the United States and other countries and are used with the OpenStack Foundation's permission.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more