cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Tackles Cloud Sprawl with New Cloud Service Broker

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post: Tom Hall, HPE Helion @tomshall

What?  Did you say embrace shadow IT?

A friend of mine leads the IT organization at a large insurance firm.  She often laments about the challenges of providing IT related services to her lines of business at a pace, and with the features they need to be truly productive in the varying roles they all have at her company. 

embracepic.pngHow can any one IT department directly provide even 75% of all IT services truly needed throughout a large enterprise? She asks.    The truth is – this is very difficult.  This is why many employees are using file storage in the cloud to exchange large files with external parties, AND in many cases, to share data with their own, internal colleagues.  This is why lines of business are procuring infrastructure as-a-service from outside providers as they think this is a way to bypass internal IT who would only slow down the delivery of IT assets in a world which requires a real-time response.

She knows this practice can compromise data security.  A potential headline in a newspaper stating customer information may have been breached weighs heavily on her mind.  How should the industry tackle this issue?  My feeling is that this is just as much a change in ones thought process as it is the technology.

Some take the stance that we must limit shadow IT (you know that it is almost impossible to completely stop it).  My belief – embrace shadow IT!  If an IT organization does not harness the power of external cloud services for application into their business, they will struggle to remain competitive.  Of course I am not advocating a wild west scenario – but a governed approach to external service adoption and management.  If you can optimally align “your right mix” (use of private, public & traditional services) you will have a clear advantage in the market to deliver compelling products and services, at speed to your end customer.

To assist in powering “your right mix”, today we are announcing the HPE Helion Managed Cloud service. This is a managed service meaning that it is delivered to you in a consumption based pricing model. The service further builds on our capability in delivering service broker solutions to better meet your requirements. 

Some of the key features of this offering include:

• Integrated self-service portal with direct interface to service providers
  • Ability to add traditional data center services and client-specific IT services
  • Security and performance management
  • Financial management and budget controls
  • Compliance management and audit functionality
  • Catalog and subscription management
  • Subscription lifecycle management
  • Service request submission and management
  • Dashboards and reports
  • Ongoing maintenance and support, new functionalities and catalog updates of the supported service providers

See our offering overview for more details.  What are your thoughts on embracing shadow IT and moving to a broker role?  Please share!

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
  • HPE Cloud
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more