Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Cloud Learning Journey: Wingin IT in the Cloud

HaleyC

Guest blog by Tim Clayton.

There are times when you can get by in life just winging it—pretending that you know what you are talking about and just hoping that in time it will become clear to you.

I write. That is what I do. It started with short stories when I was five or six years old and has stayed with me through university and onto my own attempts at novels and films today. So, when HPE hired me as a copywriter a couple of years ago, I knew how to play with words but there was a great deal of panic whenever people started talking about servers, storage, or anything as a service. I was a person who could not tell you the technological difference between a toaster and a laptop. For me technology and magic were (and often still are) direct synonyms. But I got through those early days. I took notes, I tried to project an air of confidence in what I was doing—and somehow it worked out pretty well.

I am the copywriter for our HPE EMEA Marketing Business Services based in Poland (cheap plug alert!) and I believe my name now comes quite highly recommended by the people for whom I have written materials. I’ve done my time, crushed the books, crunched the numbers, learnt about technology, and can now call myself something of an expert. I may not be a mechanic regarding the nuts and bolts of technology, but I am an expert in writing about our solutions.

However, I haven’t had time to learn it all. As unbelievable as it may seem, the Cloud—the very basis of the future of our company and all world-wide computing technology—is still a total fog to me. Whenever we have clients requesting marketing materials for cloud, I nod, smile politely, and hope against hope that they will provide the basic copy and not ask me to write it from scratch myself.

To cut a long story short, I cannot wing it any longer. It is time for me to put this right. It is time for my own cloud learning journey. I may not become an expert but, with the help of the great people at Grounded in the Cloud, I have been given the opportunity to speak to some of the top people from around the industry and ask them to explain to me—in very simple terms—both the fundamentals and the more complex concepts of cloud.

It is going to be a lot of fun. I’m going to talk to our rock star experts about a range of topics and will be blogging about it over the coming weeks.

I hope that it will be informative for the uninitiated, like myself, and give them an easy way in to some of the basics. However, I believe that it is also going to be great for those of you who are so technically minded that perhaps you have forgotten some of the 101 questions that fools like myself get confused about.

So, check back in over the coming weeks and we are going to burst this cloud thing wide open, starting with a chat with Christian Verstraete who will be explaining to me where the Cloud came from and where it is heading.

About the Author

HaleyC

I manage the HPE Helion social media brand accounts promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds.I have put my toes in the ocean of cloud evangelism for the enterprise IT industry. But my expertise is in Social Media and Digital Marketing.

Comments
wojciech_kubiak

Finally some basics! Looking forward for the first post/interview ;-)

sylwiasowa1

Can't wait :-)

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more