Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No debate: Procrastinating on protecting your data will harm your brand, business, and customers

Stephen_Spector

Guest Author: Alex Froyo, Director Continuity Services, HP

Businesses are no longer debating the fact that to operate effectively access to digital information and business systems is critical. Despite this, many businesses aren’t clear on the specific impact of a sudden loss of business applications, valuable data, and key systems. A major IT service outage or a catastrophic event such as hurricane, flooding, or man-made disaster, whether done by error or intention, can pose a huge risk. Ignoring the impact of such loss can be fiscally disastrous and can damage your brand, reputation, and the viability of your business. Knowing how ready your business will be after a major disruption depends on your response to the following simple questions:

• What would the financial impact be to your business if you have an outage of an hour, a day, a week?
  • Are you meeting your audit requirements as they relate to continuity?
  • Do you have a business continuity or disaster recovery plan in place?
  • Do you regularly update your continuity plan to meet the changing needs of your business?
  • When was the last time you tested your continuity plan?
  • Was your last continuity plan test considered a success?

For the best protection, your continuity options should be aligned to the business criticality of the workloads that need protection. They need to be backed by tiers of Recovery Time Objectives and Recovery Point Objectives according to workload criticality. Your plan also needs to consider multi-platform support requirements and enterprise class security.

If you haven’t yet looked to the cloud for disaster recovery now might be the time. A cloud-based Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) solution can substantially decrease unplanned downtime, data loss and the cost impact of a system outage.

Learn more about what you need to consideration to better protect you brand, business and customers and how HP Continuity Services can help.

Learn more at hp.com/enterprise/continuity

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
  • HP Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Comments
Gerard van der Kooij

Hi Stephen, community,

Good points as far as Continuity is concerned, indeed.

Now let me pose you this question : I work in an Industry , Health Care where patient related information is as a rule by law only accessible to patients themselves as well as professional medical personal who are actually taking care of the patients health.

Right now, even making a Test or Acceptance database in a private grid should be anonymized, that is, many patient data leading  to the exact individual are changed and blurred.

My question: how can we provide secure non private Cloud Services to a vast industry like Health Care? 

My tentative answer : by metarules in the database obfuscate information to anyone/any proces/procedure in the public domain, only make full information available to authorized personel and the individual at stake. In an Oracle Database the so called Policies could be used to implement such a mechanism water tight and auditable. Surely, other databases will have similar mechanisms...

I have been pondering this subject in the context of private cloud, hybrid cloud and public cloud. How do you see this challenge to Cloud as a solution?

Thanks for your time and effort,

kind regards, Gerard

Stephen_Spector

Gerard:

I have sent your question along for an answer. Stay tuned.

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more