Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PodCast: Open vStorage, The VM Storage Router

Stephen_Spector

I recently hosted an OpenStack Online Meetup with Wim Provoost from Open vStorage about their new open source project. The talk was very technical and was well received by the OpenStack Swift experts participating and I have created a higher level podcast with Wim for an overview of the technology without a deep dive into how it works.

Listend to the Podcast Here  

Video of the Podcast with Slides from Open vStorage

Video of the OpenStack Online Meetup with Wim (Very Technical)

About Open vStorage

Open vStorage is an open-source VM storage router for Virtual Machines. It is a software layer (called the VM Storage Router) that is installed on a host or cluster of hosts on which Virtual Machines are running. These VM Storage Routers (VSRs) operate like a grid leveraging local flash memory or SSDs and any storage back-end (S3 compatible object store, (distributed) filesystem, NAS) to provide an extremely high performance and reliable storage system as compared to buying expensive SANs or NAS for VM storage. With Open vStorage you have the ability to leverage multiple storage backends (Object Storage, SAN, NAS, DFS) while supporting multiple hypervisors. Through a Cinder Plugin Open vStorage can be seamlessly integrated with OpenStack.

Wim Provoost.jpg

Wim Provoost, Product Manager, Open vStorage

Wim Provoost is product manager at CloudFounders for the open-source project Open vStorage. CloudFounders brings together leading experts from the world of cloud, datacenter and IT services. The team includes people instrumental in the development of clouds and datacenters at Level 3, PSInet, Hostbasket part of Telenet and Dedigate part of Terremark/Verizon. The team has also brought successful datacenter technology to the market with Q-Layer`s Private Virtual Datacenter and VirtualBox, both now part of Oracle and Datacenter Technologies PureDisk technology which was acquired by Symantec. Wim Provoost has been with the company since its inception. He holds a master degree in computer science engineering and a master degree in economics.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
HPE at Worldwide IT Conferences and Events -  2017
Learn about IT conferences and events  where Hewlett Packard Enterprise has a presence
Read more