Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart enterprises plan for the future, not predict it

Stephen_Spector

Author: William Franklin, VP Open Source and Cloud, HPE Helion

A little more than a 100 years ago, when it became clear that air travel was not solely the pastime of half-mad mechanics but a mode of transportation everyone could look forward to using, there was a flurry of prognostication about the many machines airplanes would replace.

Trains and boats would disappear as airships ferried goods over oceans and continents. Even before Henry Ford built his first Model A, Belle Epoque futurists predicted flying machines would supplant automobiles.

Of course, airplanes have played a major role in shaping our world over the past century, but rather than making ships, trains, and cars obsolete, airplanes became one part of a massive, complex, global transportation network. A hybrid solution, if you will.

That’s often the way things work. A revolutionary technology emerges and the expectation follows that it will erase everything that came before. Consider cloud computing. A few years ago, many technologists assumed cloud would spell oblivion for client/server. Cloud would be the final nail in the mainframe coffin. Not so fast.

Software may be eating the world, but iron is tough to chew.

Just as tens of thousands of locomotives remain on U.S. railroads, mainframes are far from extinct. Yes, cloud is revolutionizing computing, but the future is hard to predict because it is always more complex than we can imagine.

Modern enterprises have multiple clouds, from multiple vendors. Some clouds are private, some public, some managed. We need to expand our definition of hybrid cloud. As my colleague Mark Potts has said, hybrid cloud is a spectrum. Enterprises will find the mix that best meets their needs.

A bank, for example, will have very different requirements than a hospital, which in turn will have a different hybrid environment than a university physics department. Even the pace at which industries are moving to hybrid cloud varies. The common denominator is that the great majority of enterprises will soon be managing hybrid clouds.

In a hybrid cloud environment one element is essential: openness. This is the common denominator whether you’re an application developer or an IT pro. The app developer doesn’t care where the back-end system is, where the app is running, or where the infrastructure sits. The app developer wants to write once and deploy anywhere. The people managing cloud infrastructures have similar demands of flexibility, agility, and openness.

That’s why HPE Helion is committed to both OpenStack and Cloud Foundry. Open source is a key ingredient in ensuring that hybrid cloud returns business value to the enterprise. But OpenStack can be tricky. It can be difficult for enterprises to scale an OpenStack cloud.

Many enterprises–both large and small–will need partners to help navigate the complicated reality of a hybrid world. There’s a reason more than 5,000 enterprises have already selected HPE Helion as their partner on their journey to hybrid cloud.

As I’ve written before, HPE Helion provides the agility, interoperability, and security that enterprises need today. It’s the culmination of everything HPE has been doing with cloud, OpenStack technology, and hybrid cloud delivery. Predicting the future of technology is a fool’s errand, but planning for an unknown future with an open, hybrid infrastructure is smart business.

Learn more about HPE Helion.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
  • HPE Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more