Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stackers - A Reveure in Barcelona!

BrunoZ

Every OpenStack Summit presents an opportunity to reflect on the progress of the platform. As we approach Barcelona, it’s clear that OpenStack is an essential part of a winning cloud strategy. Transforming to a multi-cloud, hybrid infrastructure demands an enterprise-grade, open source cloud platform. That’s OpenStack in a nutshell.

The growing number of large organizations already using OpenStack as a launch pad for innovation answers definitively the question of whether the platform is ready to support enterprise-grade workloads.

This year, a survey of OpenStack® users found that nearly one out of three OpenStack deployments is at an organization with 10,000 people or more, which, according to the OpenStack® Foundation, represents a significant increase over the previous year.

Surveys are not the only way to chart the growth of enterprises using OpenStack. With every semiannual OpenStack Summit, the marketplace grows larger and more diverse as the ecosystem evolves to meet the needs of an expanding enterprise customer base. It’s a list that includes Wal-Mart, Yahoo, Disney, and Bloomberg, to name only a few.

While saving money remains the chief reason most enterprises adopt OpenStack, increasing operational efficiency is a close second.  As I wrote a few months ago: “OpenStack software now represents a viable and compelling foundation to run a diverse set of enterprise-grade workloads at scale.”

Enterprise OpenStack users pioneered at-scale performance with the minimum number of people involved. And with each OpenStack release it gets easier to expand deployments to an ever-increasing number of nodes. Large-scale enterprise deployments demand large-scale monitoring solutions. The Monasca project allows for the monitoring of thousands of physical servers and hundreds of thousands of virtual machines and containers.

At Hewlett Packard Enterprise, we’ve been involved in OpenStack from its earliest days. We’re proud to be top contributors to the project. We’ve invested heavily in OpenStack because we know our enterprise customers need an economical, open source Infrastructure-as-a-Service solutions.

With our partners in the OpenStack Community, we work tirelessly to make OpenStack easier to configure and manage in production so enterprises can realize the full potential of hybrid cloud.

I look forward to catching up with you in Barcelona. A reveure!

• HPE Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

BrunoZ

I am the Vice President of Product Management for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Cloud. I have spent more than 20 years in product management and software engineering including leadership roles for companies such as Yahoo! and Cisco. My Master’s degree in Computer Science is from the Université Denis Diderot (Paris VII). I speak fluent French and I am based in Silicon Valley, California. Follow me on Twitter @bruno_zerbib

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more