Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rise of the cloud service broker function

Stephen_Spector

Guest Post:  Wiemer Kuik, IT Transformation Strategist, HP Helion

Increasingly the customers we work with get a clear message from the business units in their companies: focus on acceleration and value in a secure compliant and cost effective way. Some of the IT organizations initially responded by relying on external cloud services and then soon realized that increased even more the business perception of internal IT as a cost center.  One of the roads travelled is the internal cloud service broker.

“Cloud Service brokerage (CSB) is a IT role and Business model in which a Company or another entity adds value to one or more public or private Cloud services on behalf of one or more consumers via three primary models aggregation integration customization and brokerage”                                                                                                                                         (Gartner, Oct 2012)

IT organization start to realize that the cloud service brokerage (CSB) in house can greatly increase the perception from the business side towards IT as strategic partner and really help the influence IT has in an organization.

With that cloud broker function in mind the first step of all IT organizations is to start using cloud services and then realize the industry standards for cloud are still trailing industry innovation and cloud management APIs are not converging at the pace needed. With the technical issues of this process, time can be spent on all sort of challenges.  At some point you realize that no progress is made on the acceleration and value promises.

After that realization, the needed reset triggers the typical A to B roadmap consulting we deliver to customers. Where is point B (CSB strategy), where are you today (IT current state) and how do you reach that point of cloud service brokerage in your IT department (transformation). Interesting enough more and more customers have a pretty good understanding of points A and B and ask us the How question: How do I execute on this roadmap.

While this really is a multi-faceted problem that we will cover in the coming blog entries there is one key realization where it all starts: this is a system change of your IT organization. This is a system change that transcends the good old workhorse of People, Process and Technology and adds some crucial new elements to the IT mental model one has to use. Only if we add new elements as sourcing strategy, input, output, throughput and goals to the equation the new function of CSB can become successful. If this success is on your radar: stay tuned for the coming blog entries in the coming weeks where we will zoom in on the various elements.

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more