Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The two mental shifts you need to make to become a true internal IT service provider

Stephen_Spector

When you hear that you need to become an internal IT service provider, do you think, “That’s what I’m already doing”? You’re not alone. But unless you can answer the following questions in the affirmative, you might not have achieved what MIT terms “digital mastery” when it comes to supporting your organization’s business units with information technology.

• Do you have a value chain map in your configuration management system for every business-critical revenue stream (business service or product) that uses IT?
  • Do you know the cost of supporting each of those business revenue streams digitally?
  • Do you report IT performance based on those business critical revenue-producing value chains?

If you replied Yes to all of the above, bravo! If not, you are likely hearing one or more of the following:

• IT needs to reduce costs
  • IT takes too long to address needs
  • I can get what I need from external providers

Sound familiar? Read on.

Becoming an internal IT service provider requires a mental shift and a change in both IT and business cultures.

Mental shift 1: IT is both infrastructure and applications

There is an urgent need for IT organizations to “reunite the house divided.”  Infrastructure and application development are typically separated. This has to change.

Whether these two teams are managed under the same umbrella organization or a matrix across the enterprise, the symbiotic nature of their relationship needs to be acknowledged, embraced, and empowered. Building the products and services that customers are willing to pay for demands an integrated IT value chain.

Mental shift 2: Match the IT value chain to business revenue stream

An IT value chain decoupled from business process is worthless. Once you’ve reunited application development and infrastructure, your next move is to make sure the business side is fully engaged with IT. Put another way, the digital value chain enables the supply chain. Only with this holistic, end-to-end perspective can a business know the true cost of production, measure the quality of delivery against customer expectations, and relentlessly improve its offerings. 

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
Jan 30-31, 2018
Expert Days - 2018
Join us online to talk directly with our HPE experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Days. P...
Read more
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more