Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unleash the Hydra...I Mean Hybrid Cloud

Stephen_Spector

Guest post by André Bearfield, Senior Director of Product at Blue Box

In Greek mythology, the Hydra is a multi-headed monster which grows two heads when one is cut off, quickly overpowering all who attempt to bring it under control. A hybrid cloud deployment done wrong can also escalate into something fierce and unpredictable. BUT, done correctly, a hybrid cloud combining elements of both private and public cloud can successfully accomplish what neither can achieve alone.

When the OpenStack Foundation first reached out to us about a project to develop a hybrid cloud solution in concert with HP and digital post-production film company, DigitalFilm Tree, we couldn’t possibly say no, especially given our background in hybrid cloud deployments.

We understand the value of a hybrid cloud strategy for the media industry, having worked with a variety of media and gaming customers whose bandwidth and data-intensive workloads could be a challenge for any cloud infrastructure operator. Though Blue Box is focused on private cloud, the elastic nature of public cloud is understandably compelling in the context of constantly expanding and contracting storage, compute and networking needs faced by digital media companies.

Voice of the Enterprise Cloud.PNG

THE WORKFLOW

DigitalFilm Tree is a leading film and television editing and post production company. From new series pilots to complex special effects and a variety of video formats, their cloud capacity needs can range dramatically within the span of just a few months. New shows can start or stop with little advance notice.

Before deploying their hybrid cloud, DigitalFilm Tree’s workflow spanned multiple private cloud locations, including Vancouver and Los Angeles. By expanding their workflow beyond traditional private cloud to include HP Public Cloud and hosted, private Blue Box Cloud, both powered by OpenStack technology, they successfully met two key needs: workload and data portability, and simple, secure federated identity.

Digital Film Tree.PNG

We encourage everyone attending next week’s OpenStack Summit in Vancouver to attend the Monday morning keynote at 9:00 a.m., which features OpenStack Foundation Executive Director Jonathan Bryce, DigitalFilm Tree CTO Guillaume Aubuchon, and HP OpenStack Keystone PTL Morgan Fainberg speaking on this topic.

What our teams have been able to accomplish with respect to interoperability, workload management, and data portability—powered by OpenStack technology—is impressive. We at Blue Box are proud to have played a key part.

For those interested in the technical deep dive, featuring Blue Box’s own Jesse Keating, it’s happening later in the afternoon at 3:40 p.m. in room 220.

This blog post was reposted with permission. You can find the original post at blueboxcloud.com/blog

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
  • HP Cloud
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more