Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use the cloud to prepare for disaster scenarios

Stephen_Spector

alexfroyo.jpgGuest Post: Alejandro Froyo, Director WW Continuity Services HP

Every company senior executive and IT professional knows that a solid disaster recovery plan is critical to their business’ survival. Surprisingly, at least to me, not enough have been convinced that a cloud-based, as-a-service model will work.

Pressures are growing on IT departments to keep business available in the event of a disaster. With the right plan in place, you can lessen the impact of system outages on your business including: lost customers, brand damage, decreased revenue, and production downtime. Until recently, companies have stuck with traditional IT solutions for their business continuity lifeline.

But in today’s always-on world, IT-based business processes have become more critical. There is almost no amount of acceptable downtime. No longer are recovery times of 24 to 72 hours - based on the last tape backup - tolerated. Acceptable system recovery times are shrinking from days down to hours and acceptable data loss windows have decreased from hours to minutes for critical applications. With these heightened expectations, it’s been tough for budgets and staffing that manage business continuity to keep pace with the demand for shorter response and recovery times. This is where the cloud and an “As a service” model comes in.

If you haven’t yet looked to the cloud for disaster recovery now might be the time. We’ve just announced enhancements to our HP Helion Continuity Services offering, a cloud-based Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) solution that substantially decreases unplanned downtime, data loss and cost impact of a system outage for customers. As a result you can:

• Improve recovery time by up to 90 percent
  • Reduce data loss by up to 95 percent
  • Save 15 to 50 percent in costs through a cloud-based as-a-Service pricing model.

We’ve also added greater choice with support of Linux physical clusters, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), and storage area network (SAN)-based data stores. These are in addition to supporting physical and virtual Windows servers, clusters and Linux servers. For regional, country, and industry compliance and regulatory requirements, you can choose from seven world-class recovery centers across the Americas, Europe, and Asia Pacific, including one dedicated for US Public Sector clients.

Whether your workloads run on traditional IT that are hosted in your in-house data center or are hosted by a third party data center, or are already running in the cloud like our HP Helion Managed Virtual Private Cloud, we can help you create the best assurance for your business to support your disaster recovery and backup needs backup needs.

Check out our press announcement for more details on our new capabilities or learn more at hp.com

Senior Manager, Cloud Online Marketing
0 Kudos
About the Author

Stephen_Spector

I manage the HPE Helion social media and website teams promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds. I was previously at Dell promoting their Cloud solutions and was the open source community manager for OpenStack and Xen.org at Rackspace and Citrix Systems. While at Citrix Systems, I founded the Citrix Developer Network, developed global alliance and licensing programs, and even once added audio to the DOS ICA client with assembler. Follow me at @SpectorID

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more