Grounded in the Cloud
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Microservices Architecture is so BIG for Today’s Financial Services Industry

HaleyC

anaad.jpg

Guest Post by Anand Bhadouria, HPE Cloud CTO

I was watching a documentary on monolithic structures the other day. They were all very impressive. They had lasted for centuries and showed that the societies who had built them were very advanced. But the fact that they were monoliths now made them useless.  They couldn’t be moved. They couldn’t adapt or change. So they became relics. Impressive relics, but relics nonetheless.

A similar process is happening today with monolithic IT architecture in financial services industry. Useful back in the “dawn of time,” they are also now relics that cannot keep up with the rapid changes occurring in the financial services industry (FSI). So they are being replaced by cloud-native applications and microservices.

What’s the BIG deal with microservices?

Microservices represent the next step in an evolution from physical to virtual to cloud to cloud-native. They are a set of small, narrowly-focused, independently-deployed services that communicate with each other in a language-agnostic manner. Their architectures are highly-scalable and highly-available. They also easily support frequent updates and can be made available on a Software as a Service (SaaS) basis. 

So when the marketplace changes, creating new customer needs that open up new opportunities, your cloud-native environment changes just as quickly to allow you to respond to the change and capitalize on the opportunities. What would take forever for the monolith architecture to do can happen in no time at all with a microservices architecture.

Combined with the flexibility and power of a hybrid cloud, the microservices architecture delivers mega capabilities and benefits. To learn more about microservices architecture I included a technical overview video.

Taking the big step to microservices

A number of best practices have been established to help ensure that Software as a Service (SaaS) - also called web apps - delivers maximum benefits. For example, the twelve-factor app is a methodology for building software-as-a-service apps that:

• Use declarative formats for setup automation, to minimize time and cost for new developers joining the project;
  • Have a clean contract with the underlying operating system, offering maximum portability between execution environments;
  • Are suitable for deployment on modern cloud platforms, obviating the need for servers and systems administration;
  • Minimize divergence between development and production, enabling continuous deployment for maximum agility;
  • And can scale up without significant changes to tooling, architecture, or development practices.

The twelve-factor methodology can be applied to apps written in any programming language, and which use any combination of backing services (database, queue, memory cache, etc).

More information

Complete information on the twelve factor methodology is available here. For additional information on how cloud-native applications can drive flexibility and results in the financial services industry, check out the HPE Helion Stackato site.

stackato.png

About the Author: Anand Bhadouria is a strategic Cloud Technology leader with over 22 years of global experience in IT infrastructure, Cloud Computing, Management Consulting, Enterprise Architecture, Pre-Sales and Project Management. Currently, he is working with HPE as Cloud CTO and helps HPE customers on building Helion OpenStack based Hybrid Cloud strategy and Cloud architecture. Anand is expert in OpenStack, and his current area of focus is helping Fortune 100 clients design cloud-native application using OpenStack and cloud foundry. He received his Master of Science degree in Management and Engineering from the MIT Sloan School of Management and MIT College of Engineering. Anand was also a guest lecturer at MIT for a System Architecture graduate level course, as well as for talks about Cloud Strategy & Architecture.

0 Kudos
About the Author

HaleyC

I manage the HPE Helion social media brand accounts promoting the enterprise cloud solutions at HPE for hybrid, public, and private clouds.I have put my toes in the ocean of cloud evangelism for the enterprise IT industry. But my expertise is in Social Media and Digital Marketing.

Events
28-30 November
Madrid, Spain
Discover 2017 Madrid
Join us for Hewlett Packard Enterprise Discover 2017 Madrid, taking place 28-30 November at the Feria de Madrid Convention Center
Read more
See posts for dates
HPE Webinars - 2017
Find out about this year's live broadcasts and on-demand webinars.
Read more