1753784 Members
7164 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

28696 SCSI Card

BONNAFOUS Jean Marc
Trusted Contributor

28696 SCSI Card

Sorry if my english isn't good: I am french.

I want to add a 28696A F/W SCSI Card on a G50 (HP-UX 10.20). When I add scsi3 driver in kernel the server don't boot. It stop at :

:disc(52.4.0 /stand/vmunix
3783660 + 327680 + 475392 start 0x15b0e8

I must to cut power and remove the SCSI card. Then the server boot again.

Please can you take me a solution ? Thanks.
Si vous ne faites jamais de b├йtises, c'est que vous ne faites rien de difficile. Et ├зa c'est une grosse b├йtise.
7 REPLIES 7
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

Re: 28696 SCSI Card

What chassis code does the consloe show when the system hangs (Ctrl-b in the bottom line) I bet CEF2, right?
At this point tries the kernel to initiate the IO tree. If there are some IO problem it does not compete this task and panics after a while. Did you connect anything to the 28696A? If yes, try to disconnect the whole SCSI bus and terminate the Interface. Or didn't you connect anything to the SCSI host bus adapter? in that case you need to check the selftest LED of the interface and the term power. Did you terminate the interface? Remember, you need to terminate both ends of a SCSI bus, even when it's just a few cm long.
There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
BONNAFOUS Jean Marc
Trusted Contributor

The chassis code is CEF2.
I have test with and without disk connect to the interface: the problem is the same in the two cases.
The power led is on, the "selftest fail" led is off. The led on the terminator is on but the system don't boot (and don't panic).

Si vous ne faites jamais de b├йtises, c'est que vous ne faites rien de difficile. Et ├зa c'est une grosse b├йtise.
BONNAFOUS Jean Marc
Trusted Contributor

The chassis code is CEF2.
I have test with and without disk connect to the interface: the problem is the same in the two cases.
The power led is on, the "selftest fail" led is off. The led on the terminator is on but the system don't boot (and don't panic).

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

It sounds like you may have a faulty adapter, do you have another one to test?
Also, try rebooting from the previous kernel, prior to adding the driver, and see what happens.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Patrick Wessel
Honored Contributor

What kind of Terminator do you use? Terminators with an LED mounted are usually Ultra/SE terminators.

(The system will panic if you give it enough time)

There is no good troubleshooting with bad data
Jim Dugan
Advisor

Aside from the scsi3 driver you may also need the disk3 driver in the kernal.
KwangHee Yi
Advisor

I had a same problem.
I solved it by replacing the card.
I know new f/w for 28696 card was released. But I don't think the old f/w is a problem.
I think replacing is the best.