Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
HP 9000 and HP e3000 Servers
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3480 Tape Drive

Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

3480 Tape Drive

I was wondering if HP still sells and provides support for external 3480/3490 tape drives. And if so they know the model/part number for the tape drive.

Thanks,

Al Smith
Sr. HP-UX Administrator
Quest Diagnostics
4 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: 3480 Tape Drive

I don't know if HP has any 3480/90 tape drives or not. I've got one on my T500, but it is an STK drive and it is at least 5 years and not under maintenance by anyone.
Mike Keighley
Frequent Advisor

We purchased an M4 brand 3490E-compatible.
M4 model no. M490E a.k.a. "twin peaks"
As far as I know these are still available.

You must be careful if buying 3rd party, as HP-UX is fussy about which models it recongnises.

The M490E can be configured to return a Scsi enquiry string "STK 4280HP", which works.

A Fujitsu desk-top model which we also bought a while back didn't.
nil illegitimi root-andum
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Albert,
In a search for information on the 3480 and 3490 drives, all I could find was driver support information but no sales info.

Your local HP sales rep could confirm this but I do not believe those tape drives are sold by HP.

However, I found documentation stating there is kernel driver support for s800's at 10.20 and 11.00.

Hope this helps.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Albert Smith_1
Regular Advisor

no longer needed